The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Do Leghorns ever go broody, or will I need to borrow a hen from another breed to raise some of their chicks next spring? I already have someone wanting fertile hatching eggs from them, and they haven't laid any eggs yet. They should start soon, they're young.
I have one White leghorn that went broody (she was still raising chicks when we sold off the rest of the whites and leghorn mixes). She's 4 and still lays pretty well.

I would of always said they never go broody. But ive had it happen 3 times in the last few years.
None must of took it very serious so I only had a few chicks hatch.
Invest in an incubator and hatch all you can. Oh wait that may just be me?

I would of always said they never go broody. But ive had it happen 3 times in the last few years.
None must of took it very serious so I only had a few chicks hatch.
Invest in an incubator and hatch all you can. Oh wait that may just be me?

I already have an incubator and egg turner. I'd like to increase the flock in the spring, but will be needing an outcross after a season, with only three hens and one roo. Will they produce more cuckoo coloring if crossed with white Leghorns?

Beetov-Hen.JPG

Actually she's a hen. her name is Beetov-Hen.

Sorry. Newbie chicken keeper here. I saw the big comb and thought male. Cool name. Mine are Henrietta, Lacey, and the one who walks up to me on the perch so she's face level with me when I'm cleaning up and quietly tells me puckpuckpuck is Whisper, the whisperer of chicken secrets.

I already have an incubator and egg turner. I'd like to increase the flock in the spring, but will be needing an outcross after a season, with only three hens and one roo. Will they produce more cuckoo coloring if crossed with white Leghorns?
Mooney can correct me if I'm wrong but white is a VERY VERY VERY poor color to outcross with. The reason being is that most white leghorns are dominant white and you have NO idea what that white is covering. I think black would be your best bet if you can't find more cuckoo. Also, you don't need to outcross as soon with chickens as you do with other animals. Your foundation rooster can be bred to his daughters, granddaughters and great granddaughters.

Mooney can correct me if I'm wrong but white is a VERY VERY VERY poor color to outcross with. The reason being is that most white leghorns are dominant white and you have NO idea what that white is covering. I think black would be your best bet if you can't find more cuckoo. Also, you don't need to outcross as soon with chickens as you do with other animals. Your foundation rooster can be bred to his daughters, granddaughters and great granddaughters.

That's great news! I ordered a book on Leghorns off eBay the other day to try to find this out. Guess asking here would have been quicker and easier.

Back
Top Bottom