The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Great plan to get Happy to confess! She deserved it. Here’s a beautiful leghorn to make all the leghorn lovers happy And to make Happy mad.
FA9183DE-FBAE-4C76-86F3-BC0F392A0720.jpeg

Forgot to mention--the rooster is named Big Ben, because I grew up using those wind-up alarm clocks marked Big Ben. Remember those? Well, he's an alarm clock wanna-be, but the joke's on him. I'm usually awake before he is.

The man who sold them to me is really into chicken shows and he wasn't happy with their color/markings and said they wouldn't win, so he thought he'd bring them and sell them to someone who wanted nice egg laying chickens.

So far, no eggs. I bought two of those ceramic eggs and put them into the nest box to give them the idea. Yeah, right. They moved them around the nest box, and once when I opened the back to check for eggs, Big Ben was in there keeping them warm. *sigh*

Mooney can correct me if I'm wrong but white is a VERY VERY VERY poor color to outcross with. The reason being is that most white leghorns are dominant white and you have NO idea what that white is covering. I think black would be your best bet if you can't find more cuckoo. Also, you don't need to outcross as soon with chickens as you do with other animals. Your foundation rooster can be bred to his daughters, granddaughters and great granddaughters.
Actually, it might work. White Leghorns are black-based so the only real surprises you could get are blue and barring, though both are very unlikely. Though, first you'd get barred paints. I guess it depends upon the availability of black Leghorns which would affect my choice. If I couldn't find any I would just use white.

Last edited:
Moonshiner, what's with your signature? isn't that the opposite of Overo's?
Ya. She keeps her phone up and down so doesn't see signatures. I've just been waiting to see if she EVER turns it sideways. I knew if she did she would comment to me about it.

Back
Top Bottom