The Moonshiner's Leghorns

You didn’t kill it?
teen beach 2 GIF

There are a couple in there that are really interesting/cute looking. My broodies each hatched out two chicks. I finally kicked them out of the nest box and into a small pen with the babies. They did not want leave the eggs and take the babies to food and water. If they do well with these, I'll give them the nine chicks that are inside so they can all be brooded outside.

Time to change things up a bit.
Chicks are staking up and our auction canceled for July and August due to heat concerns.
I'll be reducing what I'm breeding so I can us a couple breeding pens for grow out pens. Mostly just knocking down a couple bigger groups to trios or quads and some focusing on getting a few varieties going for next year.
Gonna focus more on getting some different varieties of splash instead of BBS.
Get a few more crele and silver crele and also work on the blue versions.
May even get back on the solid lavender.
Decisions, decisions

Time to change things up a bit.
Chicks are staking up and our auction canceled for July and August due to heat concerns.
I'll be reducing what I'm breeding so I can us a couple breeding pens for grow out pens. Mostly just knocking down a couple bigger groups to trios or quads and some focusing on getting a few varieties going for next year.
Gonna focus more on getting some different varieties of splash instead of BBS.
Get a few more crele and silver crele and also work on the blue versions.
May even get back on the solid lavender.
Decisions, decisions
That sucks that the auctions were called off but it sounds like you got a good plan thought out. I’ve been wanting to work on breeding splash too but I don’t have any blues yet unfortunately…I do still have a few solid lav/self-blue Orps available tho if you’re interested in toying with their genes:
9B70185B-AAC6-41A0-9782-55220DBE102A.jpeg
83291A8F-D418-4D49-B887-D73C90E4EACF.jpeg

That sucks that the auctions were called off but it sounds like you got a good plan thought out. I’ve been wanting to work on breeding splash too but I don’t have any blues yet unfortunately…I do still have a few solid lav/self-blue Orps available tho if you’re interested in toying with their genes:
View attachment 3588172View attachment 3588211
I've got a couple lavender leghorn hens. No boys though.
I actually don't think I've ever had a lavender boy that reached maturity. 🤔
I'll just grab a black male and make some splits to use next year.

Back
Top Bottom