The Moonshiner's Leghorns

@Huntmaster
How much feed do you buy at a time?
What do you keep it in now? Metal cans.... what size, how many?
I have a local feed store order me in 2000 lbs. 40 50 lb.bags each month. Haven't been able to find any local mills for bulk delivery. My Quail feed is stored in 3 metal garbage cans 2 bags per can in their outbuilding. All my other feed is in a designated storage room in my barn, not a barn for livestock.

Last edited:
I will be looking into a few chest freezers to put in my storage room. I just have room lined with heavy duty plastic and pallets to keep feed off ground. Always dry but can get pretty warm in heat of summer.

I can only haul 20, maybe 24 50 lb bags at a time in my truck.
I have 3 freezers. Idk what size. Like a large, med, and small. The big one holds 600 lbs and the small one almost 250 lbs.
They easily hold what I can get at a time. Work well and ya I find them free on CL.

I can only haul 20, maybe 24 50 lb bags at a time in my truck.
I have 3 freezers. Idk what size. Like a large, med, and small. The big one holds 600 lbs and the small one almost 250 lbs.
They easily hold what I can get at a time. Work well and ya I find them free on CL.
So, your saying 2 trips per month with that 20 to 24 bags correct or is it 3 :lau

I know just what you mean ducks sitting on eggs can't even begin to find all their nests. Turkeys just getting going, late summer I need extra with all the hatchlings added. Thats when it can reach 2500lbs. But it does almost even out with all the broody hens not eating as much, spring and summer. But my main processing doesn't come until Nov. so don't get much relief from thinning the heard until then.

Back
Top Bottom