The more I use my homemade incubator the more I hate it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thumbless, Dec 28, 2009.

1. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I maintain my tempture by taking the reading from the center of my cooler at egg level, everything seems to go good up until hatch time, at which time I get one egg at a time hatching. It is always the eggs cloest to the light (heat source) that are hatching first.

Last hatch it took a little over a week for all the eggs to hatch, and all but one hatched.

This time I set 36 eggs I had 16 quitters and have had 4 hatch so far.

2. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Maybe you could try rotating the eggs a few times during incubation, from the inside to the outside, so they get more even exposure.

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I agree rotate the eggs to mix up the heating of them. The hens do that too if you watch them.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you get all but one egg to hatch, you are doing better than 90% of us!

I'd say you have a winner! You just need to rotate position or get a fan to circulate the air better at egg level.

5. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Im going to change it up after this hatch either going to add a second fan or a bigger fan.

Working on building a wooden incubator as well.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You may need to add a shield to keep actual light from your bulb from landing on the eggs. If light is hiting them then radiant heat is too.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Might I suggest making something that allows the air to circulate better like a rounded piece of plastic or something so the air flows freely and does not get "caught" at the corners of the incubator. I have an old drum type HUGE incubator and it works awesome because there are not corners to catch the air current from flowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by