The most common broody breeds?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
EDIT: Please make sure you are reading this whole thing before replying because if you're just reading the title and then just saying breed names, it's quite annoying to me. Plus, I will just ignore you if you do this.

I've decided to add Silkies this year to use as mother hens for future chicks/ducklings. Aside from Orpingtons, this is a breed I'm more use to as it was one of the breeds my family got started with years ago when I was 10. I'm going to be 25 this year so I've gained a lot of experience with different breeds that we've added throughout the years and I've gained a lot of feedback on here about breeds too.
I do know that a lot of breeds can still go broody but I'd rather stick with the breeds that almost always go broody.
We currently have a bantam hen named Mouse who is half Silkie and half Cochin and she's going to be 5 years old this year but has always gone broody every year. She actually co-raised our 2 current pullets last year during the summer with another hen.

I'm not currently going to add any Orpingtons to our flock as we've only gotten lucky with keeping our current hen alive longer than we usually do.

However, I do want to hear from experienced chicken owners what breed you think I should add for raising future chicks/ducklings.

Last edited:
My wyndottes have never gone broody. Silkies are definitely on the high end of broody. All of my Silkie hens have gone broody. My bird who went broody the most. (4 times in a year) is a Leghorn cross. Sorry I don't know what she is crossed with. The only clue is a few black feather that show through and she lays brown eggs.

My wyndottes have never gone broody. Silkies are definitely on the high end of broody. All of my Silkie hens have gone broody. My bird who went broody the most. (4 times in a year) is a Leghorn cross. Sorry I don't know what she is crossed with. The only clue is a few black feather that show through and she lays brown eggs.
She might be an Austra White, they are a cross between White Leghorns and Black Australorps and are mostly white with a few black feathers. Black Australorps lay brown eggs and are known to go broody, so it's just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom