The Most Difficult Hatch Ever!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have hatched many times but this time was the absolute worst. I could not get the humidity past 65% and they were shrink wrapped in the shell. After playing midwife for 2 days, breaking the shells back, being very careful with the membranes, Misting the eggs through the vent holes, I have 7 adorable ducklings. 2 died shortly after pipping and thats when I
    realized the others needed help.
    [​IMG]

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Sorry to hear this, BUT the ones you got are adorable!!!!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    GOOD save!!! I hate it when an incubation goes sideways. Sometimes it never is completely clear what all went wrong and the next time it's fine.

A hatch like that is how I learned to help. Glad so many made it! Congrats.

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I've never had any humidity issues before. It was so frustrating
    [​IMG] I usually have some temp issues. After realizing after the first 2 that pipped died, I cracked open the egg and noticed the "shrink-wrapping". Every hour I started misting the eggs with warm water and kept the humidity up to 80% or so. Temps stayed good with a quick spray. Then every 2 hours, I picked pieces of the shell off, and peeled a little of the membrane back (where the blood vessels would disappear) VERY nerve- racking!! [​IMG] Then they did the rest, with ALOT of effort. Yes, 7 out of 12 is still a great hatch, but WOW!!!
    My kids think I am a hero, and it was very rewarding in the end [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by