The most spoiled chick in the whole USA

Jayers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
NE Illinois
I am so happy to say things have been going well with my singleton, the only egg to have hatched from my small clutch on the 5th. I suppose at two weeks it will be too soon to determine the sex, what is the general age you can start to tell? I will try to get pictures up, it is an Austrolorp.
Since I have a storage issure I have been raising it in our laundry room in the basement in a storage bin with a red light over it; perfect even temperatures and lots of attention. I think it actually enjoys the noise if the washer and dryer running.
Yesterday and the day before I had it out in a dog crate for a short amount of time, however I could not leave it out long, it still needs to warm up a little outside. The dog crate did work out well, even though my dog did not think it was very sporting of my to have such a block up.
I am most thankful to have found a wonderful mentor nearby who gave me loads of advice for keeping and raising a chick, entering in the local fair and, if it is a rooster, offered a home. How lucky I am.
Normally, I hate pet birds, but having this chick is great. Why would anyone own anything else!

Back
Top Bottom