1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The most spoiled chick in the whole USA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jayers, May 18, 2008.

1. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    I am so happy to say things have been going well with my singleton, the only egg to have hatched from my small clutch on the 5th. I suppose at two weeks it will be too soon to determine the sex, what is the general age you can start to tell? I will try to get pictures up, it is an Austrolorp.
    Since I have a storage issure I have been raising it in our laundry room in the basement in a storage bin with a red light over it; perfect even temperatures and lots of attention. I think it actually enjoys the noise if the washer and dryer running.
    Yesterday and the day before I had it out in a dog crate for a short amount of time, however I could not leave it out long, it still needs to warm up a little outside. The dog crate did work out well, even though my dog did not think it was very sporting of my to have such a block up.
    I am most thankful to have found a wonderful mentor nearby who gave me loads of advice for keeping and raising a chick, entering in the local fair and, if it is a rooster, offered a home. How lucky I am.
    Normally, I hate pet birds, but having this chick is great. Why would anyone own anything else!

2. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Mine is a singleton also and I am so in love. I know just how you feel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by