THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

I think we should come up with another word besides fertile for developin eggs. Or just use develop...or something. Because when you say they are or aren't fertle, thats not exactly true. They could be fertile but not developing and I find it confusing. But maybe thats just me. LOL

Candled all my eggs last night. OMGosh I could see feet and wiggly babies. I have 2 batches that will be hatching next weekend. At least 85-90 percent fertility. The eggs I set for the Mothers Day hatch were replacements for some eggs I bought that out of 24, 18 were infertile. Well the replacements less than half are fertile. Won't be getting any more from that guy
sad.png
I'm hoping that my genesis bater does better than the Little Giant. The temps were all over the place. My Mother Day eggs should be hatching the weekend of 20th. Everyones eggs are so pretty, such a wonderful variety. Love the broodies, Hokankai's broody hens beautiful. They all have that motherly glow. Good luck everyone can't wait to see all the chick pics.
smile.png

DId you open the eggs and look at the embryo?? Where these shipped eggs or not ? Sorry the hatch didn't go as planned.

There is a thread called Incubators Anonymous--if you feel the need to join. Just beware, we are all enablers!!
yippiechickie.gif

You are welcome to join too!
gig.gif

@Dutch CHic--- we would be setting forever without a last date to finalize this hatcha thon. GOodness , the Easter Hatch athon is still active!

@Yinepu--- You have a huge , ginornous, gigantic, big incubator!!

Ok...makes sense. In that case, I just set 5 more Call duck eggs under another broody, and will report how many Silkie eggs I set this evening. I have to candle the batch right before them to see if there are any clears, or quitters.....I've got to make room for the Silkie eggs first!
th.gif

24 shipped muscovy from two different breeders

14 shipped goose eggs.. from 4 different breeders

[/quote]

Are these eggs dirty? If so is it ok to hatch eggs that look that dirty? Just wondering

24 shipped muscovy from two different breeders

14 shipped goose eggs.. from 4 different breeders

Are these eggs dirty? If so is it ok to hatch eggs that look that dirty? Just wondering[/QUOTE]

THis is my opinion. THe big hatcheries always sanitize the eggs; yes it removes the blooms, it also removes the probable germs like bacteria and molds in that dirt. THis is incubating a the perfect temperature of 100, this is pretty close to the temps used to grow bacteria and yeasts and other molds in those cabinet incubators used in high school biology classes.

I recently received a number of eggs that were dirty. Mostly fecal material. I washed them in warm water to remove the material.

THe next step I would like to take is to use an appropriate saniitizer when necessary. One person uses diluted Iodine solutions. I suspect soaps are not the way to go because of residues. I need more information on a suitable sanitizer.

Many people recoment a light buffing with a small fingernail file to remive spots of material. You would be sanding all night! I did need to wash a number of eggs because an egg broke and covered the other eggs. And in that case the dried albumen and yolk clogs the pores. = dead chicks.

Cleanliness is important. If you wash your hands befor touching the eggs to turn or candling, what is the point if the eggs are so dirty.

I washed the dirtiest of the eggs I received, not all the eggs, just any with the obvious mud. I just didn't need to grow the indigenous bacteria, etc.

Many will disagree with me. I just know that eggs invaded by mold or bacteria can overwhelm the eggs ability to hold off invaders and die off.

Are these eggs dirty? If so is it ok to hatch eggs that look that dirty? Just wondering

yup.. perfectly ok to incubate dirty eggs.. I do knock off any loose gunk.. but if they just have a little dirt on them they get incubated just the same as a "clean" egg...
Some people will swear that all eggs MUST be clean... nah.. not in my experience .. I say to each his own.. if they want to wash their's then fine.. at most all mine ever get is a quick spritz of Oxine

the eggs in the pics were all shipped too.. so any bacteria that was gonna get in them did it at laying time as the egg was cooling after coming out of the girl's vent

no worries.. I set goose eggs this week and will be setting muscovys (hopefully tomorrow)... so I'm in the REALLY late hatcher section!
Hope you have a good hatch! So fun to see the waterfowl babies.

hokankai, she is beautiful...even with the stinkeye
big_smile.png
x2

My Pet / Chick photo

which one doesn't belong ?

lau.gif
Love the matching pet look!

hmmm, pictures of the eggs?? really? Guess I should go read up on all the essentials of this hatch.

ok, pictures for best or worst hatch rate. Will have to snap a picture then.
And Java Girl, my name hasn't shown up on the list yet.
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom