THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Quote: I love questions! I'm not always clear when I type.

Yes, large end up, which is the correct incubating position as well. Some eggs are difficult to tell which end is which; technically the large end is more porous which is why air is pulled inward to help the embryo develop. If you set an egg on its side, the large end will be slightly higher than the other end.

THe embryo gets oriented based on the end up the highest during the first week and by the beginning of the second week, it has it's head up toward the air cell, and bum and feet curving downward like a C. THen it can internally pip by pushing upward thru the membrane into the area of the air cell.

Does this make sense? Maybe you already knew this.

Hi MMB53! You're over there where the Sharpsburg Swap is. You should definitely be setting eggs to swap in June. That's what I keep telling myself when I continuously return to the post office to pick up more eggs. Welcome to the hatch a long.
frow.gif

Well hello, I was planning on coming to the next swap do you live near Sharpsburg?

Darn, I didnt see this earlier and set eggs today so I'll be a couple of days ahead. A month ago I had my first hatch. Seven from various hens and an EE rooster. All hatched so I'm ready to do it again. This time I got SLW (?) eggs from someone. At least I'm hoping that's what I put in the incubator. She has a SLW roo but a few of her hens are Barred Rocks. I picked out the eggs that looked the least like what my BR hens lay. Wish me luck on my egg selection.

Darn, I didnt see this earlier and set eggs today so I'll be a couple of days ahead. A month ago I had my first hatch. Seven from various hens and an EE rooster. All hatched so I'm ready to do it again. This time I got SLW (?) eggs from someone. At least I'm hoping that's what I put in the incubator. She has a SLW roo but a few of her hens are Barred Rocks. I picked out the eggs that looked the least like what my BR hens lay. Wish me luck on my egg selection.

I hatch a lot of EE, really like their production of eggs and sweet hens; I have a few SLW, hope you guessed the right eggs!! I was hoping to set tonight. . . not happening.

I'll join in.

I received buff Pomeranian eggs today. They are resting and coming up to room temperature. I'll put them into the incubator tonight. Air cells are all intact, so no reason to wait any longer.

I hatch a lot of EE, really like their production of eggs and sweet hens; I have a few SLW, hope you guessed the right eggs!! I was hoping to set tonight. . . not happening.

Why won't you be setting tonight? I got my silkie eggs, will have to set tomorrow. So, that will put me a day ahead, should say, two days ahead, they seem to want to hatch early. Not sure I want to let them rest until Sat.?

Hi MMB53! You're over there where the Sharpsburg Swap is. You should definitely be setting eggs to swap in June. That's what I keep telling myself when I continuously return to the post office to pick up more eggs. Welcome to the hatch a long.
frow.gif

Well hello, I was planning on coming to the next swap do you live near Sharpsburg?

Nope! I live outside of Annapolis but I'll be at the swap. My goal is to leave with LESS chickens than I arrived with
fl.gif
he.gif
hide.gif

I set mine tonight too. It worked out better with my schedule to go ahead and do it so ya'll aren't on your own! I set 2 Old English Game, 2 Golden Comet, and 2 unknowns from a girl I work with. Can't wait to see what happens! This is Cornelia, one of my Cornish Game hens...she's such a good mama!

Quote:
Congrats on the winning look alike--that was my fav, no question! Just perfect. Many others were intereting and fun to look at, but the lady gaga was a perfect match!! Will PM you at a later time about prize.

I wanted to get Trader Joe eggs . Had DH stop at WholeFoods looking for fertilized white eggs but no go. If I got the eggs I did n't see the point in making them wait 2 more days to set. Found a TJ about 40 minutes away--Saturday I can get there.

I do have other eggs waiting to go in. BO EE/EE and turkey.

Back
Top Bottom