THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

I'm so jealous! Everybody has broodies and incubators to hatch in....My incubator's packed for the Cinco de Mayo hatch along, two of my available broodies were eaten by foxes(along with all the eggs I set for this hatch!
somad.gif
)...and now, for this hatch, I only have 8 eggs left incubating in a toaster oven under a table in my room (ghetto I know)...lets hope they hatch!!
fl.gif
pop.gif

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
th.gif
I am soooooo sorry! if it make you feel any better, I will be have a Father's day hatch-a-long after this one.
lol.png
just so you know!
wink.png

OK, the broody hen contest is now closed. the contest pics have been moved to the online poultry show!! if someone can, can you make a link to it so we can share the contest with the other threads that we are on to have more BYCers vote on the contest?? PLEASE!!!!!!

OK!!!!!! The contest for the 500 to 1000 word story about a mom and kid/kids, can be about birds or animals. Prize is 24 Java eggs your pick of color, to be shipped in the fall/spring. Is NOW open and will run NOW through until May 12th!!!! so get writing!!!
pop.gif

As I counted all my babies yesterday I am so thankful for them all. Last night a fox tried again to get them. It was 3am and I heard them screaming. That fox has got to go. He is a dead fox and just don't know it yet. Thank goodness none were killed!

Update... I moved the babies that were attacked last night.. again... my 13 month old brahma rooster only lost some tail feathers, my 2 month old brahma rooster has a broken leg, and a 2 month old brahma had an open wound on her wing. I feel like I am running a trauma unit here.

I candled my 8 orp eggs. 6 have veins :)
The other 2 I can't tell. They don't look clear
so I'm leaving them in for another week to
see what happens.
I'm so excited. This is my first time and I
Didnt think I'd be able to tell anything by
candleing, but 6 are def developing !
Woohooooo. So happy

I am down to 7 eggs from 14. They are moving around quite a bit..crossing fingers it stays that way!!

you are on the list!!

hide.gif
SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT I DID!!!!!!!!! you can
smack.gif
me if you like!!!
Nah, won't
smack.gif
, life happens!
hugs.gif

turkey math?....

19 adults to butcher
ordered 15 poults last fall from Porter's for shipping this spring..

turkey math?

nah... never heard of it!

I'd consider doing turkeys if we weren't still burned out on turkey from Thanksgiving!!!
barnie.gif
Guess buying the big bird was too much!

This is my broody "Mama" sitting on 9 eggs.She's giving me the "Don't you even dare!" look.
I'm a first timer and I candled them all this morning and saw blobs! Compared to the refrigerator egg they looked very different so I'm hoping there are going to be nine little fuzzy butts her on Mother's Day weekend.
wee.gif

love.gif
love.gif
love the orpington broody look.

...and now, for this hatch, I only have 8 eggs left incubating in a toaster oven under a table in my room (ghetto I know)...lets hope they hatch!!
fl.gif
pop.gif

I know someone who used an oven light and a pie tin to incubate two eggs... she had a 100% hatch. May your results be good too!

Had company come over yesterday... so I never got pictures of all my eggs in the incubator. Which is ok, my hatch rates tend to be somewhere between the worst and the best, and my brinsea is reliable enough I doubt I'll get the worst. I tried to count my eggs and I think there were 30 something...
hu.gif
Maybe I'll try to candle them tonight and count them too. Sure hope all my pure B/B//S orps hatch, and I'm very interested to see how the shipped serama's are doing.

How often or how inappropriate is it to let the seller know about the potential "infertility" of the eggs sent?

I know this may be a touchy subject, and the chances are that it's me, not her lovely hen/roo mating rituals...but being new, I'd love to know.

thanks everyone...! Jane
Don't worry, it's a reasonable question. There are a lot of variables in shipping eggs and fertility is usually not the reason for failure to hatch. Odds are if you have anything developing at all fertility is NOT the issue. I have had 5 sets of shipped eggs with a zero hatch but development did start in at least some of the eggs sent. The only time I contacted a seller is when nothing developed in the dozen they sent and another person confirmed they had nothing develop in the shipment prior to mine. This was early in the year and the seller, who had not done any test hatching of their own, refunded my money. As I accept the risk of shipping eggs I did not ASK them to do that. Most sellers will try to keep you happy especially if the problem is at least partly on their side.

Update... I moved the babies that were attacked last night.. again... my 13 month old brahma rooster only lost some tail feathers, my 2 month old brahma rooster has a broken leg, and a 2 month old brahma had an open wound on her wing. I feel like I am running a trauma unit here.

That's awfull - I feel a little bad for the hungry fox, but enough is enough. Good hunting!

Back
Top Bottom