THE MOTHER'S DAY HATCH-A-LONG!!!! The last day to join in and set eggs with us is April 28th.

Thanks!!! I went ahead and did what you said and thankfully the beak wasn't too hard to find on this one!! There was a tad blood but it stopped when I applied a damp paper towel. Its beak is out and can at least get air. Crossing my fingers it can do the rest when its ready
fl.gif
It will probably get stuck now..because of the wetness, you will have to go and pick at the shell about every two hrs...unless, the chick is chirping really loud, then I do it every hr. if I'm not seeing blood. When it starts to chirp on a reg. basis, it is ready to be outta there! lol...It will be weak. You will have to keep it separate from the others until it is holding it's head up, and also wobbling around on it's legs..this may not happen until tomorrow..but, it sounds like it will make it. :) Good job!

they are adorable.. I had to give this little guy a buddy since he was lonely (all the other emu chicks are outside and a lot bigger than he is)

they were hatched the same day.. so yeah.. emu chicks are that big!

This is to very cute, I guess size doesn't really matter
love.gif

When you say backward, do mean it has it's head buried? I have had those, that don't even bring their heads up during the last, and when I break open the egg, they are fully developed, and no blood left to absorb, or yolk, for some reason, they don't rotate...so, when I see that, I help them. Man, you have to be fast..as you found out, you can lose them. I wet the membrane to make sure it is the head, then I pull hard to get that neck up..and out. Then I let them sit for hrs. with their head out..to catch on to the breathing part. I have saved many, but have lost some too. Especially if it was real wet. If you can tell that head is tucked..try pulling that neck out as fast as you can..me personally here..have had good results. When you pull the head up, you have to turn the head around as you pull, in the direction it should be. Then wipe the nasal area, and hurry and put that baby back in the bator. Good luck if you decide to help!
I had 4 like this Cynthia, 2 were already dead, 2 breathed but they were so weak from trying to pip I think. It is touchy and thanks for the tip if it happens again. Its so hard to make that call to go in. I had never done it before. What do you think causes this? To dry?

I had 4 like this Cynthia, 2 were already dead, 2 breathed but they were so weak from trying to pip I think. It is touchy and thanks for the tip if it happens again. Its so hard to make that call to go in. I had never done it before. What do you think causes this? To dry?

To be honest, I have no idea! I will have a couple in there like that, when all of the others pipped, and did well on their own! All the same hatch, set the same day, lock down the say day..of course all the temps and humidity the same with them in all together. Who knows?
idunno.gif

usually if they don't turn in the shell it means that they didn't lose enough moisture in order to make the air cell large enough for them to turn properly

To be honest, I have no idea! I will have a couple in there like that, when all of the others pipped, and did well on their own! All the same hatch, set the same day, lock down the say day..of course all the temps and humidity the same with them in all together. Who knows?
idunno.gif
the porosity of the shells could have been different... causing most of the chicks to lose the correct amount of moisture.. but others retained too much and were swollen/had an air cell that was too small

lockdown in 4 days!! Wow
ep.gif
time has never flown this fast for me. Usually it feels like 3 months before they hatch. Maybe it's because I haven't been paying much attention to the Mothers Day Eggs......

.All week I've been stressing over the 5 de Mayo eggs in lockdown, and all weekend Ive been setting up the brooder and pulling out chicks. The last one just hatched, so I washed the bator and put it away.
Now that that's done, it's time to worry and stress about a different hatch
th.gif
Im only day 8 and it seems like its never going to get here. Although I have been worried about my broody hen I have sorta neglected the bator eggs. Which is good so I wont mess with anything and screw it up! So far its going by.....not as fast as I want but its going by....

It's also week 3 now, so I need to repost my contest!

The Chicks 'N Kids contest is for pictures of chickens or chicks with children, since this is a Mother's Day Hatch!
  • Those who do not want to post pictures of their children on the internet or can't find a child to photograph can do pictures of chickens with another type of animal, such as a dog, cat, horse, etc. instead.
  • The prize is two children's books: a little children's book, Chick to Hen, and an old copy of the out-of-print Window Into An Egg which is also cool for kids, but more educational.
  • It will run through all of Week Three, so you can start posting now! (Limit of 3 pictures per participant)

Back
Top Bottom