The MUTT thread!

Quote:
Thanks! I just noticed that no one adores the mutts like they do the pure breeds!
Like you always hear of people wanting Seramas or Black Copper Marans, but you never here of someone wanting a Rosecomb/Silkie, a Orpington/Turken, or a Barred Plymouth Rock/Polish. Everyone wants pure breeds, no one wants mutts
idunno.gif

I want mutts! lol

Funny though, I don't have any at the moment. But my flock is a wild assortment, so I'm looking forward to the first chicks we get from them.

We have 16 mixed chicks that we hatched from eggs donated by our own flock. The range of colors and body types is amazing. They're all gorgeous to me!

Blondie.. his/her hackles have a buff-toned hue that you can't see real well in this pic.
56682_100_1103_blondie_on_my_wrist.jpg

Some reds and a black chick amongst the keets:
56682_100_1308_chicks_and_keets.jpg

Push Up
56682_100_1327_push_up.jpg

Funky the Chicken
56682_100_1313_funky_chicken.jpg

Great thread. An APA judge told me that he judges birds the way they look. Not what went into them to makin that bird. And the APA is not the AKC and will not DNA test birds before they choose a winner.
Outta 20 pens, I have one mutt that I use. One bird outta 95 outside who is IN my breeding program. I like to call him BUSTOFF, (BUS).
If you look back into his history and mine, you will see alot of attention given to me about my thinkin of using my one mutt.
He is 1/2 Akers Buff Orpington believed to have been 1/2 Black Australorp until one of his kids came out looking like an Ameraucana. Seeing BUS was the first hatched from any of my AKERS Buff Orp girls, I have a special attachment to him. Sound familiar to you folks who love your babies, MIXED or NOT?

The beauty of BYC, is you can come here and read about other's breedings, in this case a cross, and see what happens. I posted over a year ago asking what would happen IF I took this boy back to purebred Orps. I was told to forget it. He would never amount to anything or make anything that would be desired. My new belief is IF they don't like em, I LIKE EM, and USE EM!

And boy were they wrong!
For those who were kind and tried to help me with encouraging words.
Here's what you get.

BUS
388696481.jpg

388696482.jpg

Take a guess who is from the BUS in this pic? Winner gets a C00PEE DOLL. lololol

000_6856.jpg

Last edited:
My only "mutt" at the moment, an olive egger rooster. He is from Ruth's eggs here on BYC and from what I understand is a BCM X Ameraucana mix.

IMG_2929.jpg

An older pic, but this one shows his coloring better.
SDC10376.jpg

Quote:
Awwww, looks like a bear!

It does actually.
Basketball Beardog.

Auggie is older now, and loves to "GO". And when ata stop lite the other day a car full of kids pulled up side by side and I heard one say
"Look at the Bear" lololololol All he could see is Auggie's face. lolololol

Back
Top Bottom