The Mystery of Gifted Chicks and The Beginning of a Grand Adventure

jenniferbowlin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Tazewell TN
Ah, yes. I have just started upon my glorious adventure of backyard chicken raising. How fun and exciting! I bought six hens from the local CO-OP, 2 RIR, 2 Dominiques, and 2 Black Star/sex link. I also received as a gift 6 more chicks! However, the person who gave them to me bought them from the local TSC and doesn't remember the breed. All she knows is she talked to the sales lady and she told her to get only one rooster. My dear friend thought I should get 3 roosters and 3 hens lol. The sales lady picked out one rooster and five hens. Now, I have perused this site to try and find what type of diddles these are. BTW diddles is east TN slang for chicks. The closest I can come up with is a sex link variety most likely Amber. What are your thoughts?

This last one is supposed to be the rooster. The whitish are supposed to be the hens. Oh and we are building our pen and coop. We have a hillbilly coop thrown together so far from recycled lumber and materials. We will build a bigger coop as we go. I have 12 chickens so far and I want to buy some more.
big_smile.png

Oh, I forgot to tell you about chicken football! Have any of your chicks done this? First, one pecks something interesting and picks it up and chirps loudly. All the others run to her to see what she has and then she takes off running with the whole gang after her! Chirping loudly the whole time! The another takes it from her and chirps loudly while running away and the whole gang is after that one. This goes one for a few minutes til they tucker out or simply get disinterested. I have seen it a few times and laugh my butt off each time!

Back
Top Bottom