The mystery of the empty chick waterer SOLVED + A Warning about Paper Towels ........

Natalierose

Chirping
Feb 9, 2015
Snohomish, WA
Twice now I've come home to my chicks waterer being empty and the paper towels/ sawdust in the bottom of the brooder being soaking wet.

The container was still standing up.

It was still connected to the base.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out how they emptied ALL their water out of the chick waterer.

Well tonight I was in bed working and heard the "blurb blurb blurb" noise of the waterer releasing more water down....then a little later heard it again...and again....so I went to go investigate and realized that a folded over sheet of paper towel was in the dish of the waterer! The Paper towel would just keep soaking up more and more water from the dish- and the waterer would release more down into the dish.

So mystery solved -and that's my warning!

Make sure you don't have excess paper towels or loose paper towels near the waterer.
old.gif

I switched to poultry nipples and they learned to use them in about ten minutes. I put their regular waterer in, just for over night cause I was worried, and didn't take it out for another day. They weren't even touching it. I think they like the nipple bucket because their water is always clean. It keeps my bedding dry too. Definitely would not go back.

Back
Top Bottom