The Mystery of Vanishing Chickens

jeffdubya

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Pullman, WA
So... this year was my entry into raising chickens from chicks, partially for myself, and partially to sell.

Recently, I did my last inventory and came up five birds short. My initial concern was theft by someone who was aware of my flock and I had sent driving instructions to, so I promptly locked the coop.

Today, however, I went out to get my two roosters who are going to a new home, and found one missing, as well as one of my barred rocks. More missing chickens!

I am going to do an exhaustive search of the property today and look for holes in the fence, signs of remains, etc. But for right now, I have a mystery on my hands. There are no signs of chicken carnage. We do have large hawks in the area and owls, but I can't imagine one swooping in and grabbing pullets without leaving some sort of evidence.

The only chicken injury was one hen who had her eye pecked out. I assumed the other chickens did this, but I am leaving open the possibility that another animal initiated that injury, and as chickens are prone to do, the others pecked on her after the fact.

The top of the chicken run is not covered, but the fences are 7-10 feet tall and the mesh is buried at the base. These facts, plus the lack of obvious carnage makes me believe that a mammal is not getting in and doing this.

Any eggsperts out there want to shed some light on this fowl play?

Could be a hawk. It could also easily be a coon or fox. Both are excellent climbers. A fox can jump or climb a 7' fence and will take the evidence away.

Last edited:
I've been here off and on for 60 years and never saw a mink but they killed 45 of my chickens last week.

On very rare occasions, I would see a fox hunting in the field next to the house - perhaps 2 or 3 times. But with chickens free ranging, a fox grabbed a chicken right in front of me twice in a week in the afternoon.

I never knew how many predators were afoot at night till I started going out in the yard at night. On almost any night, I'll encounter fox, coyote, possums or coons.

Washington has red, grey and kit foxes.

Last edited:
I would bet My money on hawks. They have snatched a lot of our birds, so we only free range when someone can watch over the flock. Raccoons maybe, but I think they would leave at least some evidence dragging a puller back over the fence.

For mammals and even owls, locked up in a predator proof building (no openings over 1" diameter) from dusk to dawn is the only safe bet.
For hawks, netting over the run is pretty effective and yes it needs to cover the whole thing.
I had a 40' hoop pen, 3 1/2' high with a small building at one end and went outside to find a hawk all the way up against the building and flew the 40' inside that small space all the way out of the pen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom