The Mystery Roo and the rest of the flock UPDATED PHOTOS! L@@K

Quote:
Good! There are two RIR's in the bachelor pad that I was a bit on the fence about. I was hoping I was wrong but guess I got it right..

Comparing them to the others out in the other pen, convinces me even more.
Thanks!

The difference between a Ameraucana and EE is that an Ameraucana has both parents of the same color. And EE has parents that are different colors, both parents could be true Ameraucana's, but if the colors mix, then they are considered EE. Your Buff/White colored chicks, look like they could have a buff parent & a white parent. There are 8 recognized colors in Ameraucana's. Here is a link that show's you the colors.....

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

I hope this helps!!

Quote:
Thank you. Perfect NOW I get it. Great explanation. So to summarize, EEs are just mixed up Ameraucanas.

Sherman, the roo on the roost looks to me like a blue wheaton. The photo does not do him justice.
What would Elvis the gold one be?

I will have to get an outside photo of Sherman to show you how pretty he is.
Full name:
General Sherman C. Wheaton!

Quote:
Yes I'm sure, his body shape is a dead give away.
smile.png

Hatchery Ameraucanas tend to be not only mixed and non standard colors but also crossed with other breeds. The green legs are a good indicator that they've been crossed. True Ameraucanas have slate, black or pinkish legs depending on color.

Also none of yours appear to be pure for beards. one of the pretty blond pullets looks like one of her parents was bearded but not both, the others show almost no signs of being bearded, another non standard trait.

Your handsome guy Elvis looks like a buff/wheaten mix. The General is not pure blue wheaten, the black in his neck, the color of his belly and his willow legs are off. Still a handsome boy though!

It sucks that the hatcheries misrepresent and outright lie about what they're selling, how could anyone know?

Don't get me wrong I don't prefer purebreds, I love my mutts and my EE rooster is my little snuggle muffin but it's so dishonest to sell mutts as purebreds.
hmm.png

Thanks ella. You are right, it does suck that my peeps were misrepresented but I love them just the same.

If I was really into purebreds I would be miffed but oh well.

You would think that a hatchery that well known and in business for so long would not be allowed to sell under false pretenses.
I clearly ordered "Auraucana"

The other 3 breeds I ordered seem to be correct except for Mr. Mutt who has now been id'd as cornish!

ella, I would love to see you EE roo. Is he already pictured somewhere?

It's crazy but it's every major hatchery. Others have questioned them about it and they say things like, 'well, people know them as Arucanas/Americaunas so we'll just keep selling them under that name'. I don't quite follow their logic there.
roll.png

Your other chicks do look correct, though, the color on the RIR is actually really nice.
smile.png

I have pics of my EE boy on my page https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=167 they're near the bottom.

Here's a great pic of him when he was a youngster, he's bringing me a blade of grass in his beak, so cute!
LittleApollo.jpg

Last edited:
ella, Oh my goodness, I love your pictures!!!
Your big roo is so beautiful and I have to say, Golden Comets are my favorite hens. I used to have them back in the day but only have the bantys now. I am tempted!

Your cats are absolutely gorgeous and my absolute favorit animal is the horse. I am a horsewoman by nature but none on the place anymore:(
DH and I often joke about getting a mini!

Thanks for sharing.

I may have found a home for all the roos. Keeping fingers crossed!
smile.png

Quote:
Looks like a cockrel but a cornish, look at the size of those legs they are thick like a cornish. Sheesh i really should read the whole thread before i reply lol looks like several people agree on dark cornish. Handsome fella

Last edited:
I am just happy that every single one of you agree he is a dark cornish. So that makes it official!

Too bad I'm not keeping him. All those roos gotta go. Just keeping Elvis and Sherman.

I am going to try to get good snapshots of those two boys out in the sun. I love to see the sun glisten off those beautiful feathers.

Back
Top Bottom