The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Good news, because I have a lot of questions!!
wink.png

Is that temperature the one at the floor or the one that is level with the tops of the eggs?
The temp reading with my best dual therm/hygro is level with the top of the eggs. That is the one I incubate by.

Bulldogma, Isn't it amazing just how much our children learn by listening and watching. Your daughter is very beautiful, inside and out.

Last edited:
Well - when my daughter got home from school, I had her go get her injured pullet - it had been a pet since we got her this summer. My daughter brought her in and offered her some meal worms - the pullet ate 1 or 2 and lost interest. My daughter set her down and the pullet tried to walk and fell over.

My kid made a hard decision, but I'm proud to say she made the right decision all on her own. They sat together for about an hour and then my daughter brought her to me and said, "I don't want her to hurt any more."

I offered my daughter choices about her pullet's remains, and she chose to have me skin her and cure the hide, and to not waste the meat.

The skin turned out pretty well for my first time skinning (thanks PeepsCA for the tips). I messed up the tail (now a separate piece) but got the rest off just fine and it is now salted and pinned up, hanging to dry. It was a Mille Fleur bantam cochin, so it really is pretty as a wall hanging... though I admit, every time I turn around and see the hide hanging there, my first thought is that the chicken is in the house. Working on getting over the "slightly creepy" factor of such a life-like piece of artwork in the home...

What I found was a seriously "Omega" shaped keel... this would have kept the pullets body from ever being straight or balanced. I knew there was something going on with (what I thought was) a hip - - turned out to be a dislocated pelvis. A week or so ago after some rest she seemed to be getting better, but then declined after being put back in the coop. Well - what I think happened was she went from sleeping on the floor to perching again, and reinjured that pelvis when she jumped off the perch.

No doubt - we did the right thing. Kiddo didn't watch the actual cull, but came in right after and wanted to help with the necropsy.

When I can afford it, I'll have this photo done pretty large and frame it to hang by the hide (per my daughter's request).

I am not afraid to admit it..... That made me feel like I had a speck in my eye.... Hey! Y'all have seen the pics, I used to be a dancer.... I's allowed to be sensitive!
I am proud that a child can make the leap from the selfishness of want, to the selflessness of ending a living beings suffering.

I got 6 beautiful chicks last Friday at my local Southern States. I'm amazed at how fast they are growing! Soon enough they'll be out with the big girl's.

I wondered if anyone has seen this on their chick's feet before. One of our chick's, Lily, has one toe on each foot that is turned outward. None of the others looks like that.

yes, I have a hen with a toe on each foot that is turned to the side, so the claw curls towards the foot. I just have to keep the toenails clipped, so they don't grown into the toe - She gets around just fine and is a good layer.

Hi,

I have a small flock and want them to be as organic as possible. Our flock is for personal use, mostly eggs, but we do raise a few meat birds, although not the cornish x's. Since we are new we have a mixed laying flock of several breeds and our meat birds are Brahms and Jersey Giants. Both I am told are considered dual purpose breeds.

I am not sure what fermented feed is and would like to know more. Do you make it yourself? I have been able to find organic feeds locally and shipping is way to expensive.

Also what is the apple cider vingar used for?

Thanks for you time. Dana

Hi,

I have a small flock and want them to be as organic as possible. Our flock is for personal use, mostly eggs, but we do raise a few meat birds, although not the cornish x's. Since we are new we have a mixed laying flock of several breeds and our meat birds are Brahms and Jersey Giants. Both I am told are considered dual purpose breeds.

I am not sure what fermented feed is and would like to know more. Do you make it yourself? I have been able to find organic feeds locally and shipping is way to expensive.

Also what is the apple cider vingar used for?

Thanks for you time. Dana
Check this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/4350#post_10347254

Back
Top Bottom