The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    This guy will get you started buy just google it you will find all kinds of interesting info

He talks alot about bokashi which is a method he is selling, but can easily be done w/ a little research, he even tells you how to do it. He has a lot of great info and several videos.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    PS: On the LABS like above - I haven't done them but the other folks mentioned do.

I do make cheese from raw milk, however, and the next time I make cheese I'm planning on experimenting with spraying the whey on the litter in an experimental section and seeing what it does. I already use it for smoothies, soup bases, feed it to the chickens, put it on the garden, plants, or compost pile, etc. The LAB thing at that link got me wondering what it would do on the chicken litter.

(FYI - whey from the kind of cheese-making that I do is full of LABs. I'm currently not making mold-ripened cheeses.)

3. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    OMG thanks! This is awesome, I'm so going to start a reference notebook for all of this information so I can more easily remember it and pass it on to others!

During the summer my hens have full access to my herb garden, so I knew they were getting the good things they needed then when they needed them, but I never really thought about winter. I'm thinking about getting/making a hydroponic fish tank to grow fresh herbs all year... that would benefit all of us:)

4. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I completely agree with you on the KISS thing... but I am a complicated person, so while I agree with you the OTHER side of my psyche tries to make simplicity as difficult and complicated as possible!

5. blipit007

blipit007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Clinton ct
    OK, another question. I have one 3 week old Silkie, and all the other girls are 4 weeks old. What is a safe and nutritious treat / supplement to give them. I started with the meal worms and they love those. What else can I give that is fun for all of us?

6. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Lol i was wondering this too. Since it has been explained, any one want to share what KISS is? I kiss my chickens all the time, but I don't think that's what y'all mean. Lol

7. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I read the same... didn't skip a beat. I don't do much research anymore unless my gut is totally clueless, and then I look for advice from people like Mumsy who have been raising chickens NATURALLY (not the way my grandparents-in-law and unfortunately pretty much everyone I know personally used to...) for years and years and doing so successfully. No matter what you believe, you can find "research" to back it up. So I listen to my gut. I did do some really primitive research on the ACV, though- I compared the nutrients found in the chick vitamin replacements w/ my own personal mix that I add to chick water (ACV, molasses, and brewer's yeast) just to make sure I was providing all of them. But that was all.

8. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    How does your grandparents raise chickens? Are you revering to the cages here? *shudders*.

9. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Our snow is mostly gone, other than the big piles and the shady spots... jealous? Of course, we're supposed to get another 3-6 inches tonight [​IMG] It's supposed to be in the upper 60's and 70's next week... I'll believe it when I see it!

10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by