The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I've heard that eggs work wonders for dogs, I'll check that out, and maybe add some fish oil to her food. couldn't hurt! I have $30 of grain free salmon and venison dry food she won't eat, but its going to get mixed into the grain free chicken she will eat. poor baby. funny thing is, she is the only cat I've ever had that really doesn't like canned food. she does eat plain chicken though.
Hi Ialaland, I have a kitty that has allergies too. Is your orange kitty coughing at all? (sounds like a hairball but nothing comes up?) My kitty has asthma, and allergies, and when the two mix, its horrific! Two years ago she had an asthma attack so bad she died on the way to the hospital, I talked my DH through mouth to mouth as I was doing 90 mph down the road. He got her back. She also stopped breathing twice in the hospital but they got her back.

We have to give her 2 inhalers a day! Imaging the fun! She gets a daily dose of a steroid (Fluticasone), and when the allergens are bad outside and she gets affected, I have a rescue inhaler of Albuterol or Prednisolone pills. Quite a process. But we keep her happy and healthy.

Noodle, the Russian Blue kitty. Who was also a rescue.

Last edited:
Y'all with the cats and dogs with allergies might want to read up on the affects of the GMO items that are routinely in their foods.  There is a lot of information out there.  Here's just a single link but there is a lot of research and vets are beginning to speak out about it.

The vets I spoke with had all been in practice long before 1996, when GMOs were introduced. Each had his stories about the surge in diseases and disorders after GM feed came on the scene. One told me that the jump in dog and cat allergies correlated exactly with the introduction of GM pet food. Whenever he switched his allergic animals to an organic (non-GMO) brand, their symptoms such as itching would usually disappear. Others described inflammation, infections, and gastrointestinal disorders.

Both vets and farmers saw differences inside GM-fed animals during autopsies or butchering, including liver damage, stomach ulcers, discoloration, and an awful stench. One farmer said that after seeing the alterations inside GM-fed animals, he and his wife started a strict non-GMO policy for their family’s meat.

(Apparently the vets who started their practices after GMOs entered the food supply consider all these problems normal.)

Funny you mention that. I have been doing a little research as well since my 2 dogs have allergies and problems with ears. I found a local place that makes healthy food and no corn listed anywhere and I know most of the ingredients instead of like their current dog food which the first ingredient is corn & a bunch of chemicals I can't pronounce :/. If it works for the dogs the cats will be switched over as well.

Ok here's a question for all of you who have gotten chicks/pullets. I know that they need to be in quarantine for 30 days & to put one of my hens in with them to make sure they don't get each other sick.

But what about the DL? The newbies will be going into the old coop/run. Do I need to take out all the DL in the old coop or just take most out and put some fresh shavings in? I was thinking if I cleaned out some of the old DL and added some fresh shavings then the newbies will be exposed to my new hens atmosphere and help build up the newbies immune system?

I just started making LAB so I will spray some of that in the old coop/run as well. Heck the old coop be partially cleaned out by now but I'm making a new compost area. It will be positioned so its next to the veggie gardens and the electric netting can be ran up to it so the hens can help compost it :)

Y'all with the cats and dogs with allergies might want to read up on the affects of the GMO items that are routinely in their foods. There is a lot of information out there. Here's just a single link but there is a lot of research and vets are beginning to speak out about it.

http://responsibletechnology.org/
My friend put her two Wheaten Terriers on a raw food diet. They both started out with issues, one with chronic ear infections, the other with bad breath and anxiety. A year has gone by on the raw diet and both dogs have no more issues. Even the anxiety! And the cataracts has cleared up. Makes you really think. It would be too expensive for my big dog, but seriously consider it for my trouble kitty!

Thank you,  Where would you get LAB?  And is it used as a daily cleaner?

You make it. If you use the search tab at top and search for LAB it will list the areas where it was spoken about. I would give you the link but I am on my IPad and it doesn't let me. Kaussandra, country girl & I think Leah's mom all use it. It's very simple (thank goodness) I just started mine yesterday but am looking forward to using it in the coop & run dips and on my plants

Where can I find more info about this? I was reading somewhere on this thread about people spraying it in their coops and bedding?
This guy will get you started buy just google it you will find all kinds of interesting info

He talks alot about bokashi which is a method he is selling, but can easily be done w/ a little research, he even tells you how to do it. He has a lot of great info and several videos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom