The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    MB - yes, SFH roos are notoriously communal - they get along with each other. They may squabble every now and then, but nobody would think you were starting up a cock-fighting business based upon their behavior - LOL! My 3 girls have been laying an average of 5 eggs a week each over the past weeks. Their eggs are usually Large with some being XL and a few M... but my girls won't be a year old until August! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my SFH!!

Oh heck - I do numbskull things all the time. I'm forgetful as can be and stress does nothing for improving it - LOL! And with my kids... well... there is plenty of stress to be found! That's where chickens come in. On any nice day, I can be found lying dormant in my yard covered in chickens. People probably think I'm dead and the chickens are eating me.

Totally agree about people believing everything they hear. For proof, just look at all the crapola posted on FaceBook! LOL! Also - I believe that DE works because it is porous and has shard-like edges which deter or even kill bugs... but it looses these edges when wet... which would mean that it would have no value if fed... but perhaps I just heard that somewhere...

Night all!

2. mikkles

mikkles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    MN
    i know people use DE internally on dogs and cats for worming purposes..

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I'm still curious about citrus and chickens - I have 6 different citrus trees in my yard, and end up composting what we can't eat, juice, or give away. Nothing better than a blood orange fresh off the tree!

So I guess I won't offer any to the chickens, just put peelings in the coop?

4. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    I have noticed this too. People say things without having evidence. Just, oh someone told me or I read it somewhere. That's why I like to triple check everything I'm told. Its like someone else said on here, chickens may not be super smart, but they are smart enough to be chickens! Although I have my doubts on how smart they are after watching my girls chase each other around over a big piece of plastic. Lol. Oh Ya! I got my first egg from one of my buff Orpingtons! It is a jumbo sized egg to! It makes my eggs from my Rhodes islands look like jelly beans! :D :D :D

5. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Lalaland - I would whine too if it was snowing right now. I like when we get snow, but it's Spring! I got a little too much sun today and we got so warm cleaning out the ducks' pool, we sprayed ourselves a bit with the hose. 75-80 all week, nights around 40 - baby chicks are officially out of the house!
    If it makes you feel better, we did have a freak cold front last week with horrendous winds, cold temps, and a thin layer of ice a couple mornings on the waterers...
    I started mine in the winter and it was taking too long because my house was a little too cool, especially at night. I finally ended up putting it on a heater vent and had it bubbling the next day. I've been adding to the same 5 gallon bucket for several months. Temps are currently 75-80 here now and I don't have a cooler on yet - ff is doing great. I just always keep enough water to cover and stir it a couple times a day.

X2

This is what I used after the paper towel time... I never saw them eat it. When they got too big for the brooder, we moved them to a bathtub and used straw. They weren't quite ready for single-digit temps as they were late fall babies so they lived in the house a LONG time. Others might have some different ideas, but this is what worked for me - First, paper towels, Second, pine crumbles or pellets, Third, straw, Final, straw and pine shavings in their outdoor coop and run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unless you live in Arizona, in which case it's a big clod of dirt with one weed sticking out of it. [​IMG]

I like Delisha's ideas of the citrus peels! I spray LAB in my run if I notice it starting to smell at all. I have only sprayed twice in the last 6 months - still no smell. The only time it got bad was when it was wet for days on end, and it was mostly the ducks' side - the chicken side I have only sprayed once.

[​IMG]

6. amberr

amberr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Southern Oregon
    On the cat with allergies, when we got our Lab he had splotchy dull fur. Weren't sure if it was allergies or just poor cheap dog food diet he had before, I added an egg and tablespoon of flax seed oil to his food everyday for a month and his hair started growing back and coat shined right up.

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Unless you live in Arizona, in which case it's a big clod of dirt with one weed sticking out of it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I heard a rumor we might make it to 40 today! And the turkeys are gobbling, the skunks are strolling, the owls are calling, sandhill cranes are circling, the woodpeckers are still hammering out their territory, the spring warblers are singing....I know its spring and (drum roll) ....I have less than a foot of snow on the ground!

I've heard that eggs work wonders for dogs, I'll check that out, and maybe add some fish oil to her food. couldn't hurt! I have $30 of grain free salmon and venison dry food she won't eat, but its going to get mixed into the grain free chicken she will eat. poor baby. funny thing is, she is the only cat I've ever had that really doesn't like canned food. she does eat plain chicken though.

Off to do chicken chores.

10. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    bdm, I'm excited to hear that about swedish flower hen roos. SInce I'm getting straight run, you know I'll get roos, and maybe, just maybe will be able to keep one or two.

Are yours old enough to be acting like roos?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by