1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop

2. delisha

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    You did an amazing job!!! She looks fantastic.

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I love the idea of the frozen strips...thank you very much
    X2! You could even pre-chop it into small pieces all at 1 time and freeze ready to feed!

4. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Quote: Delisha
    X2 on that too...I try to find out what has been used for years - tried and true - rather than the fad stuff that comes and goes.

I think "feeding DE" is one of those "hear-say" things that got mixed up too. People used DE in feed to stop the weevils from hatching in stored grain - not to add anything to the chicken's diet nor to "kill intestinal worms", but that whole thing got mistaken and has blown up into a HUGE MARKET for DE to chicken owners who think they need to add it into their feed to deter worms...

Ah well.... a little common sense and pondering goes a long way when it comes to some of these things! [​IMG]

5. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    Thanks tho I don't know what I "did" to fix the prolapsed vents. I really think they needed more protein and calcium in their diet. I had read somewhere that prolapse was caused by low calcium.

But thanks to u OTS awesome advice it seems fix them I did!! It's amazing how much they have grown since I got them :)

6. Elliemae 77

Elliemae 77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Fremont,MI
    Delisha,
    Thank-you, I'll be sure to pick up some oregano and cilantro tomorrow...assuming fresh is best, but if I can't find fresh oregano, will dried from my spice rack work too? What about adding garlic? Garlic powder ok or should I crush up some cloves. What's the best way to add cayanne?
    I'm not sorry I culled her either. Im trying to look at as sacrifice a few to save the many. Of course my daughter will cry her little eyes out about it. I tried to explain that she could make all our other birds very sick, but.she was still pretty upset when I told her that the hen was sick and m"might" die. (Sigh). Sometimes farm life can be hard for the little ones....she's 5. I promised her that we would get black Orp hatching eggs and try again....From now on my flock is closed. No birds in .....not even chicks.... Where can I find oxine? I thought bleach would be harsh, but I had no idea what else to use.

7. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Today I was cleaning the coop and run. My coop sits about two feet off the ground. And the ground under the coop stinks stinks stinks. Raked and shoveled all the acclumated shavings,leaves, poop and food. Is there anything i can on the ground to get rid of the smell?

8. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Maybe some PDZ? Fresh shavings? Or just several wheel barrows full of clean dry dirt?

9. delisha

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    You can order oxine if you do not have it at your local feed store/farm and feet or TSC. 5 is a good age for helping them to understand about life lessons.
    Wet the feed down to a mash and stir all the stuff in if you do not ferment.
    all your orange, lemon and lime peels. ACV will also help. Let your chickens go clean it up..probably all kinds of wonderful things under there for them.

10. bgallentine

bgallentine New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    If I may interject- Worm farming doesn't use nightcrawlers. They are a big animal (relatively ) and consequently have need of larger territory - Nightcrawlers like to goes as deep as 6 feet - not easy to provide in a box. The worms that are used for worm farming, worm composting or Vermiculture, uses a much smaller animal that is 2 - 3 inches long. They are commonly called red wigglers & composting worms. The binomial is Eiseinia foetida (sp?).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by