The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Those little ones at the bottom have their little beaks in the grass pulling at bugs and worms they were finding in there!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    And I didn't have to wait 24 hours!! First little egg this morning. It is a pinky tan colour - from the Lavender Orp. So fun!!

3. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Cirtus..in the coop for repellant..they don't eat it.
    I feed fresh Oregano, and cilantro quite often..I do not add it to anything. I let them choose it out of a bowl. If I am out of fresh oregano I do add dry to the top of the feed maybe once a week during the winter.
    I use hay and a few fresh herbs in the nest boxes. I do not use anything for any spacific reason per sea..when lavender is in bloom I add that..when thistle is I use that..etc I will even add purple clover tops and rose petals. Its nice and they love to wallow in it.
    [​IMG]
    In this nest is hay and yarrow flowers..some chickweed
    [​IMG]
    hay ..lavender..I see some oat stalks and possibly some thyme in there.
    Free feed them a few herbs here and there and let them choose what they need...do not add anything directly to the feed unless you are treating for something spacific. I would than add it to the FF just before service.
    The best thing to be put directly on a chicken for parasites is wood ash.
    The best antiseptic is comfry and Oregano for wounds and burns.You can make a mash and apply it.
    ACV is the best thing to give your chickens in the water for stress.
    I do not like to give the birds anything to stimulate laying. I want to know why they are not laying. There is always a reason.
    yes..that is just clover sprouts
    [​IMG]
    Look for a clod of dirt under a bush or a tree...if you can't mud will work..just dry it out first.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Baby pictures! Swedish Flower Hen chicks hatched on the 19th:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter how many chicks I raise, I never get tired of watching chicks!! As you can see with this group, I got a "party pack" color mix just by chance and great luck. The yellow - I'm pretty sure it's a boy. He'll be the perfect compliment roo to my Gunnar. Gunnar is black-based with no blue. This little guy is white based with blue. I'll be able to switch hens about and get all different colors between the two roos and the various color hens I have.

And yeah - these babies are staying in the house. Not taking any chances with them while the nights are still cold!

Excited! [​IMG]

5. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    BDM...the info in the beginning of Del's last post about how she uses the various herbs and other items would make a good piece for posterity [​IMG]

6. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    BDM....jealous!!! Beautiful babies!

7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Congrats - How eggciting!

Yeah for the new egg!

8. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    They are gorgeous!!! Amazing range of colors; I heard they are great chickens to have around.

9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    BDM,,

I can barely stand it! How precious are these chicks? Was it this breed i read that the roosters tolerate each other well? Also, are their eggs truly as large as they say, or are the SFH eggs normal size? Just curious....

MB

10. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Congrats!

And BDM, gorgeous gorgeous chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by