The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I honestly don't know about DE and lice/mites.

In the cat food, it will help keep the buggies from growing in your dry feed if you put a bit in the bag or storage bucket and shake it around in there!

I had a 50 lb bag of spelt that began to hatch some moths one time, I put about a half cup or so of the DE in there and shook it around. Never saw another bug the whole time I had the bag!

2. rambunctious

rambunctious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    I have 15 - 11 week old pullets is this amount of feather loss normal? They're in 18% feed, fermented w/ 1 c of boss extra a day...[​IMG]

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    When my first group of chickens were that age I also had that kind of feather loss. I think they can have what is referred to as a "Juvenile Molt" But.....

I Defer to others who know more about that than me...

Do they look and act healthy otherwise?

4. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Send the snow my way! Ill be glad to take it! Here in southern Az its already 81! And its not even noon! Ugh...

5. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Happy Earth Day everyone...

Let's do our best to take care Mother Earth as well as we would our own mothers.

I love this day, for all it represents, it's also my third born's birthday!

[​IMG]

6. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Mumsy, I always love reading your posts. You remind me that we all learn from experiences, done "right" or done "not right". With my own line of work with horses, I have always disliked meeting the person who was around horses their entire lives, and who closed their minds to learning. You have also reminded me that even though I have only owned chickens since last July, it's never too late to begin!

I wish you many more decades of living life with your chickens on this beautiful Earth we all have been given. My favorite people on this planet are the ones who realize we share it with animals.

MB

7. cywiar merch

cywiar merch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    UK
    Love your cat!

My blue british shorthair also has allergies and asthma. I really tried to get her on the inhaler but she absolutely refuses so she gets a daily prednisolone pill. She was been quite ill over the past couple of weeks and more or less stopped eating because she was so congested. The vet has given her an antibiotic injection even though she has no signs of infection but it did the job of decongesting her. She loves (rather used to love) tinned cat food but it does not agree with her.

I must say though that raw feeding did wonders for her and luckily she took to it straight away. I agree making your own raw food for cats, making sure you have the right proportions of everything that is necessary for them is quite challenging. I buy mine from a company that makes it up fresh in the right proportions.

Hope everything works out for

8. cywiar merch

cywiar merch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    UK
    I raw feed them so I guess my question is answered. I know this is a chicken site but does anyone have any ideas of what I could use for fleas etc for cats (non invasive?)

9. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I am right there with you with the dogs... no by-products, grain-free, etc. We pay a little more for their food but they really do eat less so it lasts me a long time. We just purchased a quarter cow and I gave them some of the extra bones. We also put upacv in their water - in the summer it keeps their buckets from going green and yucky from bacteria with the heat.

It looks normal to me...I have feathers everywhere but the birds aren't bare and they are all healthy.

10. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Just sharing some pictures from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how I keep my U-ACV handy when I fill waterers: