The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop

2. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    They burn grass here as well thankfully most dont around where I live but in this general area people will burn the grass because they believe it helps it to grow faster...

I was reading vinegar works as well for killing weeds so long as you dont spray your plants with it. I was thinking of getting neem oil to help with some pests. We want to start a bee colony maybe next year as because he was forced to spray the area about ten years ago when he was growing tomatoes commercially it killed off the bees so any plant that needs bees to polinate dont do very well here(He warned me for my cucumbers). But the dirt itself is very rich and beautifull.

3. cywiar merch

cywiar merch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    UK
    I have constant problems with weeds.This was a product I considered a while back but when I read the label and about it, I decided against. I wouldn't use especially if it is ground you are concenring growing food on. Perhaps for a lawn it might be a different issue. I spent most of Saturday weeding my front lawn.

4. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I will pm you! :)

5. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
  6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Many, many, many thousands. No they cannot climb smooth surfaces at all, cannot fly, and cannot survive our winters

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I am more convinced then ever that my cat is 1/2 chicken. I was planting peanuts and dug up several grubs, I just put them in the little paper sack I had the peanuts in to keep safe until I could take them to the chickens. After I was finished planting I took the sack inside and set it on the table while I got a drink before going out to the chickens. While I was sitting there drinking my water Bambam found the sack and was fascinated, and sure enough soon enough she fished out one of the grubs took it out played for a minute then ate it, when she was finished she went back to the sack for a few more.

8. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Dubias are amazing. They dont smell, dont bite, dont fly, dont climb, quiet and cant survive the winters and they have a much higher meat to shell ratio then mealworms/superworms/crickets. Sadly they are illegal in canada so it makes it very hard to get them and keep them. Their great for lizards AND chickens :D

9. NanaLynn

NanaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2012
    Here is a link to a all natural dog store that has a variety of natural treats for dogs that might work, http://www.unleashedmutt.com/Pages/treats.aspx

They have two stores Raleigh NC and a store in Wilmington. Great staff and great products.

10. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    My cats love to catch & eat bugs as well. Stalking spiders in the house are their favorite pastime. They even try coaxing them down by *talking* to them [​IMG]

You plant peanuts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by