The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    This is my first year to try. I was going to get meat rabbits this spring, but didn't have my hutches built, anyway when I do get the rabbits I intend to feed nearly 100% grown food and peanut fodder (the leaves and stems) are very good for them and high in protien (also good for chickens).

2. flagirl

flagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    lake placid, florida
    camellia, roundup is very toxic. be careful with vinegar, some research says nothing will grow in the vinegar area for a while. You can start with a modified lasagna type garden. I put down 8 layers of paper, then straw or hay. Straw is expensive here in florida, so I use hay and usually do not get much weed seeds in it. Wait a few weeks and plant right thru this layer. by the end of the season, it has mulched and is a great mulch for current lplanting. I wide row garden(3ft wide rows) and hill them some, then put paper and hay in walkways. At end of growing, I move this mulched dirt onto row and start over, constantly making good dirt. My original garden area was pure sand and this has built up wonderful dirt over the last 7 years. Of course I have a friend with horses and get mature manure by the truck load to help now.
    OH and to add chickens-turn deep liter into soil also!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    Also, check into reduced schedule vaccinations. Dr Dodds at Hemo Pet is one of the ones to look up. One of my dogs had a reaction to her first rabies shot. She lost all the hair on her ear tips, scratched constantly and became allergic/sensitive to everything she was eating at the time.

To keep it chicken related-she's allergic to chicken and I moved the babies to the barn today!

4. midnightroo

midnightroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Maryland

I agree, NO to roundup. Even if the information is only half true I don't want it in my body. It is in all corn and I only eat non organic corn in the summer for corn on the cob. If I could buy organic corn for corn on the cob I would pay $10 a dozen for it. Anyway, round up is very nasty stuff that doesn't leave your body readily and des lots of damage to your body. Straw is a good barrier and you could out newspaper down under that to further suppress the weeds. Neem oil is good for bugs or hand picking and dropping them into soapy water. In the spring or summer you could put the chickens in a tracker over the different beds to eat the weeds too.

Kassundra peanuts are easy! We did them last year and they required the least amount of my gardening time. I just weeded until they grew tall enough to shade out the weeds. Squirrels took some of my seeds when I first planted and i gave chickens the peanuts that grew. Try cotton, beautiful flowers and very easy too. Don't know how the chickens are with them, grew them before we had chickens.

Love the sfh pictures!

Christine

5. flagirl

flagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    lake placid, florida
    Do not spray tomato plants with neem, they don't seem to like it-everything else is fine with it. I am in florida, so things are different, but I let my native flowers like cosmos grow all around and bees love it. I also let my basil, cilantro and dill go to flower and I my large garden is always filled with bees. a friend lives a few miles away and has to polinate her squash and cukes with a brush since she gets no bees, but she also does not grow flowers to attract them. right now my cilantro and dill is in bloom, and all my squash and cukes are polinated. come end of summer, the basil is in bloom and the fall crop get polinated.

1 person likes this.
  6. gevshiba

gevshiba Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    My dogs eat raw. All 5 of them. It's not a cure all, but it sure does make a difference in some things. I can feed my 5 dogs cheaper on raw than on a premium grain free diet, or pretty much any super premium diet. See if there's a raw feeding Yahoo Group in your area. We're lucky here to have a great one. We have a man with a meat packing plant who started a dog food business by request. He delivers to different areas each weekend. I also get organ trim from a local butcher, who butchers at his place. We occasionally do group buys too. I know people don't like it when I say this, but my turkeys are being raised mostly for dog food. It's worth it to me, they are my family and team mates. I want to keep them as healthy as possible.

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    This is like being a proud grandma or something...showing everyone my photos [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are the 16 week old Swedish Flower Hens

Miss Grey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miss Sweden
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rooster Boy
    [​IMG]

And the Mystery Breed...
    Miss Black
    [​IMG]

8. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    LM - your SFH are stunning! The blue girl is amazing... as are the rest of them, really. [​IMG]

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Blue isn't as dark as the photo seems she is. When she's out running around she looks almost white in the sunlight. I DO love those dark greys I keep seeing!

And..thanks for introducing me to the SFH. I love the way they look and behave so far. I even like looking at their body type compared to my hatchery kids!

10. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    They are all STUNNING.....def worth a repost of their pics.......thank goodness you dont live closer or I would be tempted to come borrow them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by