The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

What is wrong with people? DH just tore out of here to another fire. Remember when I asked what would you do if a brush fire was coming? You usually don't get much of a warning. You definitely can't shut the chickens up in the coop in case the coop catches fire. Too many to crate up and not enough time anyway. I believe we would be ok as my yard and one neighbor's yards are large and mowed. but the woods behind us and unmowed dry field on the other side could create flying sparks. As I posted earlier, we have someone setting them on purpose.

My vote is a big no to Round Up. Can kill your dogs, cats, chickens, etc., let alone children. Never did any study but just from reading the label was enough. After work, I find it very therapeutic to hand pick bugs and mow and trim grass/weeds. If I need anything more, hot, salty water works great. Dawn dish soap and water can make a great spray, also. After working in retail for 10 years, DH learned that I needed 1/2 hour of alone time before I could be social, nicely. I've since quit my job to watch my twin 2 1/2 yr old grand daughters and now when I get home I just need a nap.

They burn grass here as well thankfully most dont around where I live but in this general area people will burn the grass because they believe it helps it to grow faster...

I was reading vinegar works as well for killing weeds so long as you dont spray your plants with it. I was thinking of getting neem oil to help with some pests. We want to start a bee colony maybe next year as because he was forced to spray the area about ten years ago when he was growing tomatoes commercially it killed off the bees so any plant that needs bees to polinate dont do very well here(He warned me for my cucumbers). But the dirt itself is very rich and beautifull.

So I had to add a second feeder for the chicks they are growing like weeds :D. Would anyone have any photos of homemade perches I could make for them? I think its time to offer one or two.

Also For those of you who also garden. What is your take on roundup?

My landlords father in law has a tiller and is a retired farmer/cattleman and said he would till our garden for us. He said if we wanted he could treat the ground with roundup which he prefered to do only for the first year and he didnt have any issues with weeds ever again. Now Im debating doing this because it is a chemical and we would like to try to be as organic as we can(Even though we are not using any organic seeds this year). I was reading that using a mix of mulching, letting the chickens into the garden on short trips and Carefully spraying vinegar on the weeds and just pulling some can be a more natural way of weeding. Suggestions and insight would be most welcome. This is our first fullblown garden :).

I have constant problems with weeds.This was a product I considered a while back but when I read the label and about it, I decided against. I wouldn't use especially if it is ground you are concenring growing food on. Perhaps for a lawn it might be a different issue. I spent most of Saturday weeding my front lawn.

Actually any soap with blue dye 1 in it will get rid of the pests. I don't know why but they let go and rinse right off. They don't die though. I used this on a severely tick infested dog and they all washed off. I didn't find a single one on his body. I found quite a few in his paws though. I'm guessing I didn't get enough soap there. I used a blue suave shampoo.

Fermented feed question again. I know, we've been over this! I've been looming into it. Do I really just take the feed I have now, put it in a bucket, cover it with water and put a lid on in. Then every couple hours stir it and add water if needed, until I see or bubbling. I can add many of the things mentioned before or top dress. Can I put BOSS in there? Somewhere it said I don't have to add the ACV, but the process will be slower with out it. What do I.do once it starts bubbling?
Oh, and one thick I read said to leave it open, bit others were saying to keep it covered. Is there a different process for using ACV vs not using it? I want to try this but am afraid of poisoning my gir
I will pm you! :)

I am more convinced then ever that my cat is 1/2 chicken. I was planting peanuts and dug up several grubs, I just put them in the little paper sack I had the peanuts in to keep safe until I could take them to the chickens. After I was finished planting I took the sack inside and set it on the table while I got a drink before going out to the chickens. While I was sitting there drinking my water Bambam found the sack and was fascinated, and sure enough soon enough she fished out one of the grubs took it out played for a minute then ate it, when she was finished she went back to the sack for a few more.

Many, many, many thousands. No they cannot climb smooth surfaces at all, cannot fly, and cannot survive our winters

Dubias are amazing. They dont smell, dont bite, dont fly, dont climb, quiet and cant survive the winters and they have a much higher meat to shell ratio then mealworms/superworms/crickets. Sadly they are illegal in canada so it makes it very hard to get them and keep them. Their great for lizards AND chickens :D

Don't know if anyone has already answered this but i'm off to bed now.(Uk time) A lot of people buy dried liver treats for their cats and dogs, Idon't know US based info but if you try an online pet shop, you should find some. If I remember correctly they are not that cheap. I know of someone that dries her own chicken hearts for treats for her cats. I have never treid it but I think it is just chop small and placed in the oven. Don't know whether this would work for liver.
Here is a link to a all natural dog store that has a variety of natural treats for dogs that might work, http://www.unleashedmutt.com/Pages/treats.aspx

They have two stores Raleigh NC and a store in Wilmington. Great staff and great products.

I am more convinced then ever that my cat is 1/2 chicken. I was planting peanuts and dug up several grubs, I just put them in the little paper sack I had the peanuts in to keep safe until I could take them to the chickens. After I was finished planting I took the sack inside and set it on the table while I got a drink before going out to the chickens. While I was sitting there drinking my water Bambam found the sack and was fascinated, and sure enough soon enough she fished out one of the grubs took it out played for a minute then ate it, when she was finished she went back to the sack for a few more.
My cats love to catch & eat bugs as well. Stalking spiders in the house are their favorite pastime. They even try coaxing them down by *talking* to them
lol.png

You plant peanuts?

My cats love to catch & eat bugs as well. Stalking spiders in the house are their favorite pastime. They even try coaxing them down by *talking* to them
lol.png

You plant peanuts?
This is my first year to try. I was going to get meat rabbits this spring, but didn't have my hutches built, anyway when I do get the rabbits I intend to feed nearly 100% grown food and peanut fodder (the leaves and stems) are very good for them and high in protien (also good for chickens).

Back
Top Bottom