The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Lucky!!! I'm jealous enough of JUST the horses (my one remaining life goal is to own a horse... okay, I probably have more aspirations than that, but I really really want a horse, we just don't have enough space), but all those readily available materials! Lucky! I've lived here three years and JUST THIS SPRING found free horse manure and free wood chips. People here over-value their poop, and the city hid the wood chip bin REALLY well both in town and on their website. Straw here is outrageous, too- $5 a bale! It's a byproduct people! I will willingly pay for it, just not that much. Thankfully, I have 3 acres of grass clippings and oak leaves (so many leaves...) to use instead, so that's what I use, plus the newly found free wood chips.

2. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
  3. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    So happy it's working out so well! Enjoy every minute!!!!

4. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Delisha, Mumsy, others who study natural healing/health, I have a coworker whose 6 year old son suffers every year from horrible dry skin. She has tried myriad ways of treating it, every lotion and oil she could think of, and so far no luck. She was telling me today the skin on his legs is so dry they look like ash. I promised her I would ask here in case anyone can suggest natural remedies for extremely dry skin. She has even asked his pediatrician about it, who recommended a few of the things she tried to no avail.

Judi

5. dmacaruso

dmacaruso New Egg

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm new to all of this and would like to learn more. I'm all for keeping it natural, I started this year with 3 hens and a Roo, bought 6 chicks supposed to be pullets, and am waiting for 3 chicks from a friend. I'm trying incubation with my class for the first time this year, but would like to go natural and get some silkies or something that will go broody for next year. I need a coach!\

6. chikenscratch

chikenscratch Chillin' With My Peeps

7. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Im halfway through it and its very interested but the only thing I have issues with is he is quoting so many scriptures for his exampled that Im not grasping a lot of what he says. So let me get it straight. You mix woodchips and manure and spread it on top and plant directly onto that instead of the ground and keep adding onto it every year?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Roundup shouldn't be used on a vegetable garden in my opinion. You have to be very careful what you put in a garden since you are going to eat what comes out of it. Roundup is usually used to kill all vegetation along fencelines, and I think it would be dangerous in a garden. Weed seeds are in the ground and may last for 50 years, and Roundup basically kills anything on top of the ground. I have used it before along fences, and pretty soon you get new weeds growing there that nothing kills. It has been linked to birth defects in frogs and other animals from runoff contamination.

9. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Funny, I was just talking to someone on Etsy about this exact problem because they were looking for a product from my shop to help their son.

Chronically dry skin that doesn't respond to lotion is a sign of a systemic problem- no cream is going to help. Lots of time is is a gut imbalance, and something as simple as cutting sugar and refined carbs and/or adding daily probiotics can help. But it can also mean deficiencies in certain micronutrients, specifically the B vitamins, the fat soluble vitamins (A, C, K, and to a lesser extent E, but it's hard to be deficient in E because we don't need much), zinc, iodine, amino acids like glutamine, or a number of others. I would suggest exploring those avenues next. Adding a fish oil might be a good start. Also coconut oil (eating it as well as using it on the skin- my kids eat a spoonful a day in the summer). Nutritional (aka brewer's) yeast is a good source of B vitamins, and kelp is a good source of both iodine and magnesium. Those would be a few things she could start with. Hope she figures it out soon!

10. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Just finished watching the video - thanks for sharing! That was really great! I was just about to rent a rototiller and now I'm going to try this approach - completely makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by