The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. amberr

amberr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Southern Oregon
    10 chicks btw 4 bantams, 2 BR and 2 each SLW &GLW.

2. bgallentine

bgallentine New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    I'm so digging this!! I've made the decision and now I'm in my research phase. I've determined the laws here and know what my restrictions and limits are, though I heard mentioned but not yet considered permitting or licensing. So I need to inquire to that. I've determined that because of our zoning I can't have a small coop in my first choice location - would've been sexy tho- I have a shed that is my fence on the alley and had determined to cage off the end with a cut-out to a run. In the end however, It would not have been enough room for the three girls I wanted to get - So I've found a new site space in a big bed on the wall of the garage in which I'll build a coop/ aviary 7' deep, 8' wide by 7' tall at the tallest at the back with a shed roof. This will give me 56 sq ft, so I'm thinking it won't be too bad for a flock of 7 to 9 girls. We have very nice weather here, much cool temps here in Long beach, CA. than most of you farther north see in the summer and days in the winter are mild, we saw overnight temps dipping to 34' F. For those reasons I am leaning to a coop with nest-boxes and roosts. This coop will be 3' off the ground with a ramp. The wall of the coop which faces into the aviary will be removable for access and off during the most mild weather. It can be quite cool during the evenings all year long here too, so I'm really pouring over everything I'm reading - from all of you wonderful, generous and knowledgeable people! We have crazy populations of all manner of varmints cautioned against. Except maybe stoats and on that I still wouldn't bet. So I'm going all out. concrete footing, hardware cloth in the footing angled down and away at 45' angle, sole plate, buried lags. I have decided to construct each wall section as a box - nothing new, that's just standard stick-construction. But in my OCD revelry I'm clothing the outside of the walls with hardware cloth and inside with either half x half hardware cloth or half x 2' , I think it's 14 gauge. Inside the coop I'm going with enamel white and 4'' deep zeolite floor. Is 4'' deep enough? I need to go the PDZ route because I pester you all for feedback on my choice later. I most interested in hearing of any warnings of a breed that can't tolerate others or the like. Don't worry - I have a very good filter. I'm really most excited at the prospect of getting know each birds personality.
    I've just discovered the thread and am now on page 57 of 1266 so I've a ways to go. I will fill in my profile so you all can get a handle on me as I'm enjoying coming to know each of you.
    Thank you so much for being here just when I need you.
    Brian Gallentine

3. amberr

amberr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome Brian, most everyone is in bed (east or Midwest) I'm a night owl so you'll get most of the shout outs tomorrow. Sounds like a great plan. Are you looking for breeds that are high egg producers or for personality? There is a section on here tab at top for breeds and people's reviews of them. Everyone has different opinions of course. I am new to chickens and ordered chickens with a combo of good laying and friendly (barred rocks and Wyandottes), also some silkies for kids and to be mommies if we decide to hatch more. Good Luck

4. cywiar merch

cywiar merch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    UK
    Thanks, I'll take look.

5. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    Welcome - dmacaruso, bgallentine and anyone else I've missed. This thread is so chocked full of info, someday's it's hard to keep up!

I have some positive news. When we put the addition on the coop, I didn't put a floor over the dirt. My DH insisted on putting pallets down but they didn't even begin to cover the dirt. My deep litter is so beautiful. it's been about 6 -8 inches deep. I can't believe how it's broken down. Even though I have 18 chickens, it does not have a bad smell. I've only turned it over a few times, Sometimes I'll throw scratch grains on top and the chickens do the rest. I hate to say that it's fluffy but it's certainly not packed down or wet.

6. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    brandislee, countrygirl74, FridayYet, and dcba flock, thank you all for your suggestions! I will share with my friend and hopefully set her on course to a cure. I have been wondering about the coconut oil since it was first mentioned here, is it something you also give your chickens? Maybe it was said and I missed it (all I can do to keep up with this thread most days!).

Thanks again for all your help! With everything!

7. dcba flock

dcba flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Albany,NY
    I would say at least 2-3 weeks! I have 12 in a similar set up with 2 totes hooked together they are just over 2 weeks and starting to be crowded. If you can get a couple of perches in there for them to add vertical space and hang their food and water might help too? Just some thoughts? Hope it works out! :)

8. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Really? I wonder if I should try it on my Mia - with chronic diareaha - but I know she doesn't have internal parasites. I'm desperate, it can't be good for her to not be absorbing nutrients.

9. jlynnet

jlynnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Pozees, my oldest son has a milk allergy. He had dry skin when he was little. Then it became eczema. We tried treating it with different creams , but it gradually got worse. When he was 9 the skin got really bad and he also started getting bad tummy aches. That was more than 4 years ago. Once we found out he had the milk allergy, we removed all milk. His skin cleared up within a week! Now he just has normal winter dry skin. I have a nephew that had the same symptoms. His mom took him off milk and everything improved. Good luck to your friend!

10. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    I can tell now it will be a pain to get the girls to go to bed if I am still outside. 15 minutes til dark before I got them to go in. Had to step inside the house until they went near coop then run out yelling roooooooooo roooooooooooo and chasing them like I was a collie dog rounding up a herd of cattle. Head them off this way..... run round to keep them from going past door.... kept making my semi circle smaller until they all finally went in! Quick shut the door!! LOL

They just were NOT going in today. Nothing worked. Tried treats thrown in screened area front of coop (greens, sesame hearts, yogurt, sod clump, fresh fermented feed, dry feed handful). Who says Chickens are not smart!!!!! They wanted nothing to do with the coop even with it getting dark. Not until I ran (fast as I ccould with my cane) making noises and roooing to scare them.

Hated doing that but couldn't leave them out after dark.... too many predators and I don't have outside lights!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by