The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

How big should we make each of our nesting boxes guys? I need some dimensions...
I want something like this (wooden) but can't find proper dimensions.. Needs to fit big breeds of chickens. I was thinking 12" x 12", but not sure if that is big enough. Thoughts?
Thinking of doing 15-20 holes. Would maybe do same as above with one more row at the bottom.

I'm with Fred's Hens on this one - go with the 14"x14"-ish size to make sure your largest birds will be comfortable. Your smallest layers won't mind the extra space.

It appears to be impacted. She gets up in the morning with a full, firm crop. Is there anything I need to do to assist her? Or will it work it's self out on its own?
I'm sorry. I have no experience with impacted crops. I have heard of olive oil and massages, but I can not give you my take on it, as I've never had to deal with it. I hope someone else here knows. I just thought I'd say that instead of just skipping over your post without telling you why I didn't reply.

Good luck!

I'm with Fred's Hens on this one - go with the 14"x14"-ish size to make sure your largest birds will be comfortable. Your smallest layers won't mind the extra space.
I have sent Susan the dimensions. She should take care of the rest (as it's my b-day present!) Birthday is this weekend. Hoping the barn will be finished for me by this weekend. I have no doors on any room other than the chicken room.

I have sent Susan the dimensions. She should take care of the rest (as it's my b-day present!) Birthday is this weekend. Hoping the barn will be finished for me by this weekend. I have no doors on any room other than the chicken room.

Happy Birthday!!! Having the barn finished would be one heck of an amazing present, wouldn't it??
Hugs!

How big should we make each of our nesting boxes guys? I need some dimensions...

I want something like this (wooden) but can't find proper dimensions.. Needs to fit big breeds of chickens. I was thinking 12" x 12", but not sure if that is big enough. Thoughts?

Thinking of doing 15-20 holes. Would maybe do same as above with one more row at the bottom.
I have nesting boxes that are 12 x 12 and the smaller girls really seem to like them. But my bigger girls like the bigger nests, 14 x 16. They seem to like to get all the way to the back of the box and play in the hay while they are waiting to lay. My larger ones are cobbled together from leftover building supplies. We made as few cuts as possible.

I had a few things I was wondering about that I thought all of you could help with, nothing urgent, I just was curious what others do or have done in the past.

Does anyone use nest pads in their nest boxes?

What do you use in your nest boxes? What have you tried and do not like and why?

Does anyone raise cx using a broody?

What is the oldest hen or rooster that you have used for meat?

Lalaland: that is so frustrating not getting what you asked for when you got your chicks. I want to get chicks next year from a good breeder, but I am so scared I will end up not getting what I want or not getting good quality chicks. I would like to not buy from hatchery again and not have chicks that have to go thru the stress of shipping. It bothers me that people are just out there to make a buck and to take advantage of others! If I cannot find a good source next year, I’ll probably end up going to the hardware store that sells chicks or TSC, they’re not the best choices, but better then hatchery shipped chicks. Also better then someone just trying to take advantage of me. I hope that she takes the bantam back from you. Best of luck!

I believe i read it on the ot thread long ago, so I use pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet cut to fit the nest boxes. works great, cushions the eggs so they do not break and easy to clean. I add straw on top so they can make their circle nest. to clean, I pull out carpet piece and dump straw on DL, wash the carpet with hose and put back in.

Quote: Some chickens don't synthesize their nutrient intake correctly so their eggs and meat will never match the best out there. Some of the very high production layers are not genetically predisposed to putting the full quality of their diet into their eggs even when on a more natural diet; however there's a few factors that affect this. I won't speak for backyard-reared or bred birds in this case, only hatchery-bought or production-keeper ex-layers.

Their eggs are much better once on a better diet but since there's a lifetime of 'catch-up' healthwise, they many take a year or more to lay truly healthy looking eggs. It's different once they've been raised minus the lack and damage of their ancestor's environments, and those hens I bred from high production layers were, by around the fourth generation, not noticeably different in quality from any other chook's. I see more American C.P.Layers looking red in the combs than I do Aussie ones and the genetic differences as well as feed makeup and vaccines etc is probably the deciding influence, I'd guess.

Quote: Nobody is advocating fear, here. Just awareness. It's too late to 'take action to control' many of the changes that have been made. Just because the truth may be aggravating or make the future look bleak doesn't mean it's not true nor does that make it fearmongering. It's just the world we live in. As always, as it has been all throughout history, we must get on with our lives irrespective of whatever problems loom. There's always something. ;)

The studies I refer to are most often those done by the industries themselves. They themselves publish all the incriminating evidence you could want, because there is no fear of possibility of repercussions. This is just recording history now. Our awareness so we can protect ourselves is the only logical direction to pursue. Monsanto knew their products were harmful, and took steps all throughout their history with the help of well placed lobbyists to protect themselves, and now Obama has given them permanent legal immunity. That legal document is freely available and that situation was all over the news. Monsanto is not going to feed the world, as people had hoped.

Quote: If it's suspect, it's logical you would seek out the information to prove or disprove it. I'm not asking you to fetch facts to present to me, as I think that's quite disrespectful, I'm just encouraging you to seek the truth of the matter for yourself to it's no longer a suspicion, neither confirmed nor denied. Note, I'm not saying it's actual alien DNA, just alien to us.

The information I refer to is often not only published in mainstream journals, news programs, newspapers, magazines etc (which doesn't make it true of course), but more importantly, published by the companies that support GMO products the most. In other words published by those that are biased in its favour.

Many 'old timers' I've met are often suspect of anything that sounds like science did not save the world but has in fact wrought terrible and permanent damage in it; it's a generational/educational thing. After all, many of the same old timers were on the frontline of the wave of misinformed or ignorant chemical users who have unwittingly helped propagate enormous damage, and some of them still believe the scientific 'facts' of their youth which the scientists themselves have since debunked as bad or pseudo science. The majority of scientists themselves were also ignorant and also misinformed deliberately in some cases. It's all been an enormous commercially driven rollercoaster ride which very few people are actually able to be blamed for or held responsible for, as the majority of them were well intentioned and quite 'hip' to the scientific 'facts' and 'studies' of their day. They acted in good faith and trust. Nobody should be pointlessly or uselessly afraid, just aware; certainly action should be taken to control what we eat and drink, and breathe. I'm not on any anti-science or chemistry bandwaggon, in fact I find it fascinating and have high hopes that once commercial industry (and self-interest) stops being such a dictator, we'll see some really great innovations which are not supported by the biased studies you referred to, but rather honestly reviewed and tested and applied. All the best.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom