The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I need sexing help with a silkie chick...6 weeks old..

I suck at photography...
LOL!!!! Yeah .... we might need to see the silkie in question in order to help you sex it ..... good thing you have weeks to practice
lau.gif

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

Margaret loved coconut oil. It's good for the digestive tract for humans, so I can't see it being any different for chickens.

I rub it all over Chloe (poodle), and she has a good time grooming it off LOL. She had a tick I removed and tried to use coconut oil to battle any infection it could have caused. She ate it all... Silly girl. I used it for her sore nipples too when she was nursing.

Coconut oil is also good for the brain. Some studies have shown that about a tablespoon or so can actually reverse some of the damage done in early alzheimers.

It's also very good as a personal lubricant. 'Nuff said about that. ;)

Quote:
I am still teaching myself to vent sex on one month old chicks. I am up to about 75% accurate. Also helps having color sexing chicks to compare with. But I am getting better. Hoping to be up to 90% by next year. Just takes practice, and since I am getting two incubators in a little over a month, I will have lots of chicks to practice on.

Quote:
I am still teaching myself to vent sex on one month old chicks. I am up to about 75% accurate. Also helps having color sexing chicks to compare with. But I am getting better. Hoping to be up to 90% by next year. Just takes practice, and since I am getting two incubators in a little over a month, I will have lots of chicks to practice on.
thumbsup.gif

Quick broody update.

Even though they're on the roost at night, mamma did NOT kick them to the curb like she did last time. She's still hanging out with them and caring for them.
clapping-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

ETA: Just went out to be sure everyone got in and she's on the floor w/the kids in their place again after having spent 2 nights on the roost. So this is a new way of mothering for her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom