The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

So the plan is to start out with a small number of chickens to give ourselves time to get the hang of things and make sure it's a good fit. That being said, I'd like to have a rooster, from the point of view of having a more natual environment for the chickens, and for the 'full experience' for ourselves. I see that chickens near us tend to be sold as breeding trios or quads - is it reasonable to expect that one such set would be ok, or would you normally get extra hens in addition so that there's a better male/female ratio?

Also about coop design - we were able to get a large disassembled garden shed for free which I want to repurpose since I learned that the pre-made coops they sell are probably much too small for the chickens to live naturally. I'm thinking of rebuilding it more or less in the same shed shape, but elevated about a foot and a half off the ground and filling in the gap at the bottom with wire mesh. The idea being that it would give plenty of ventilation but the draft would be low down so not blowing on them while they're roosting. We're in Ireland so the temperatures are very moderate, does that sound like a workable idea?

And last question (for now! :lau) we have a lot of different kinds of weeds in the field where we would plan to let them free range. I get that in general they should be smart enough to not eat dangerous things as long as they have other options, but some of the weeds are quite a high proportion of the greenery in that area, such as horsetail and buttercups. There is also a decent amount of grass and clover, but I'm wondering if we should be thinking about clearing and re-planting the area, or am I just overthinking this?

To anyone who made it this far through my post, thanks, and I appreciate any tips you can give!

I'm glad you're taking the time to think this through, and developing your plan BEFORE you get your birds!

Roosters can add a new dimension to flock keeping, but they also require some extra considerations: If you start with chicks, and there is a cockrel in the mix, he is more likely to be aggressive to his flock mates b/c he's not had anyone to school him in proper dating etiquette. He will mature faster than his pullet flock mates, so will harass them unmercifully. I would recommend that you get pullets, and wait until they ALL are laying, and THEN, add a rooster (mature male) who has a proven track record of being gentle with his harem. OR, you might consider adding a cockrel to a flock of hens who are entering their second laying season. Older hens won't take any guff from a cockrel, and will trounce him every time he lets his hormones do his thinking for him.

As for your garden shed, what are the dimensions? The general recommendation is for a minimum of 4 sq. ft. in the coop per bird, and a minimum of 10 sq. ft. in the run per bird. I like the idea of elevating it. but, you might want to make it about 2' above grade. That will make it easier to manage if you need to get under it for any reason. I would leave that area open to provide shade for your flock. My birds LOVE hanging out under their coop. It's blocked off now, b/c I have not been able to put netting over their summer run, and we have huge hawk predation issues. But, if you do allow access for your flock under the coop, make sure you can reach under there one way or an other. I can reach under mine with a rake. Occasionally, some one will drop an egg under there.

As for your field with buttercups and horse tails, depending on your source, they are edible, or they are not! If the birds have access to all of the greenery in the field, they should be fine. My birds skeletonize the rhubarb leaves (which all sources state are poisonous) in my garden every fall. I would not choose to put poisonous plants into a chicken run where the birds do not get to pick and choose what greenery they eat, but in an open, free range situation, they should be fine.

Check out Henderson's chicken chart for a nice list of breeds you might consider. When you've chosen a few breeds that interest you, then start doing some more detailed reading. There are threads specific to most breeds here on BYC.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

I'm glad you're taking the time to think this through, and developing your plan BEFORE you get your birds!

Hi lazy gardener :frow
Thanks for the reply! I can't reply properly until later since my mother in law is visiting this morning but I just wanted to say I'm right there with you on the gardening approach, I'm trying the no-dig method with the new garden we're creating and it sure beats back-breaking work!

they have never had any problems traipsing through the snow with feathered feet.
I've just been reading in some awe about the kinds of weather some people have to deal with! It's very mild where I am; rarely stays below freezing for very long in the winter and it's warm rather than hot in the summer. I think in F it would be between 30 and 80 the vast majority of the time.
you might consider adding a cockrel to a flock of hens who are entering their second laying season. Older hens won't take any guff from a cockrel, and will trounce him every time he lets his hormones do his thinking for him.
Would that work with hatching also? If I started out with POL pullets and then if and when I got a broody let her hatch some eggs and kept a cockerel? Or would the hens not know how to keep him in line if they weren't used to having one around?

The general recommendation is for a minimum of 4 sq. ft. in the coop per bird, and a minimum of 10 sq. ft. in the run per bird.
I think it will end up being about 80sq.ft. so if we plan for a total of maybe 12 birds that sounds like plenty? My husband is at home most of the day so the plan would be to let them free range and just keep the vegetable garden fenced off. The cost of building a decent sized run seems crazy high. I'm not sure of the prices there, but here it would cost me €130 for 30m x 1m mesh, which wouldn't go very far at all... Not to mention the price of wood. Besides I'm sure the free ranging is better anyway, as long as we can keep them away from the road.

I've just been reading in some awe about the kinds of weather some people have to deal with! It's very mild where I am; rarely stays below freezing for very long in the winter and it's warm rather than hot in the summer. I think in F it would be between 30 and 80 the vast majority of the time.

Would that work with hatching also? If I started out with POL pullets and then if and when I got a broody let her hatch some eggs and kept a cockerel? Or would the hens not know how to keep him in line if they weren't used to having one around?

I think it will end up being about 80sq.ft. so if we plan for a total of maybe 12 birds that sounds like plenty? My husband is at home most of the day so the plan would be to let them free range and just keep the vegetable garden fenced off. The cost of building a decent sized run seems crazy high. I'm not sure of the prices there, but here it would cost me €130 for 30m x 1m mesh, which wouldn't go very far at all... Not to mention the price of wood. Besides I'm sure the free ranging is better anyway, as long as we can keep them away from the road.
The emerald isle sounds so lovely and temperate. Someday, it would be fun to host chicken friends around the world. Here where I live, I can get to -40°C in the winter!

Yes, it would work for you to raise up your first generation of pullets, then add a hatched cockrel. The cockrel would have to work his way up through the ranks to earn breeding rights. It won't be pretty. Chicken dating is never pretty, but it would be much more desirable than the roo drama that is seen when a cockrel is raised with hatch mates, and there are no older hens around to keep him in line.

80 s.f. would be great for 12 birds. However, I recommend a run of sorts, even if it's not predator proof. They come in handy when training birds to the coop, training pullets to the nest box, and to keep the flock confined if a predator comes calling. Most predator issues happen at night, but a run may be helpful if you have a neighborhood dog that won't stay out of your yard.

Here where I live, I can get to -40°C in the winter!
I can't even get my head around what that means! :hmm The coldest I've ever experienced was -6...

Yes, it would work for you to raise up your first generation of pullets, then add a hatched cockrel.
Sounds like a plan! I've sent a message to a place not too far away that sells Silver Dorkings and hatching eggs, fingers crossed!

Most predator issues happen at night, but a run may be helpful if you have a neighborhood dog that won't stay out of your yard.
As far as I can determine, the likely predators here are foxes and mink. I've never seen a dog running loose around here, our neighbour has a dog but she's a retired guide dog and very well behaved. I've never seen her off leash either. I'm pretty sure we can secure the top field more easily than making a run; at least to a reasonable level. There's a big hawthorn hedge all around so we'd just need to put chicken wire on the gates, I reckon. My husband will be watching them when they're free ranging so I hope that will be good enough.
I do have some lightweight fencing for vegetable gardens that I could use to make a temporary run for the first days we let them out, until they get the hang of things, does that sound like something that would work? If they were supervised the entire time?

I haven't been around here for at least a year. We re-homed our flock of bielefelders, cream legbars, and our own cream felders (bielefelder x cream legbar) as it was getting to be too much for me. I had a 1 year old baby and a senior in high school, and 5 other kids to manage.

I hadn't really missed the chickens until lately, and then I thought that my 8 yo might really like a project. :) So, I messaged a friend of mine and we went to get 4 mixed chicks from her. Three of them have air pockets on their shoulders when they eat, so I went to the feed store and picked up 4 more. Just in case. ;)

We are feeding non GMO and soy free this time, but I don't think we will ferment. It gets to be too much. And we might not incubate or have a broody, either. I'm going to try really hard to just have chickens. We'll see. I'm not very good at balance.

Hope to learn more from y'all and share a little about what we've learned through the years. We had chickens for about 6 years before I re-homed the flock. We get eggs from the old flock now and again, and we like to see who is still laying based on egg shape/color/etc.

Susie

I haven't been around here for at least a year. We re-homed our flock of bielefelders, cream legbars, and our own cream felders (bielefelder x cream legbar) as it was getting to be too much for me. I had a 1 year old baby and a senior in high school, and 5 other kids to manage.

I hadn't really missed the chickens until lately, and then I thought that my 8 yo might really like a project. :) So, I messaged a friend of mine and we went to get 4 mixed chicks from her. Three of them have air pockets on their shoulders when they eat, so I went to the feed store and picked up 4 more. Just in case. ;)

We are feeding non GMO and soy free this time, but I don't think we will ferment. It gets to be too much. And we might not incubate or have a broody, either. I'm going to try really hard to just have chickens. We'll see. I'm not very good at balance.

Hope to learn more from y'all and share a little about what we've learned through the years. We had chickens for about 6 years before I re-homed the flock. We get eggs from the old flock now and again, and we like to see who is still laying based on egg shape/color/etc.

Susie
Are they air pockets or just a full crop?

It is hard to control yourself sometimes with chickens, they are so addictive and enjoyable.

Are they air pockets or just a full crop?

I'm assuming they are a full crop, unless they start to look different. It's hard to tell when they are going through this baby molt.

I'm hoping that if I don't get into a heritage breed, that I can manage myself. We had a flock of 26 plus some assorted roosters at one point. It was nice that they were all auto sexing, but honestly it was a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom