The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

My question of the day... lol

Okay, so it's supposed to get up to almost 80 this week during the day, after snowing over the weekend - that's Arizona for you. I was thinking about taking the babies out. Some are almost 2 weeks, others are almost 1 week. Would it be a good idea to let all my big ones (20 week olds) out to free range and then let my little ones run loose in their closed up run for a bit? The run is dirt, covered with deep litter of straw and pine shavings, and whatever else is in there... What do you think? Good idea or should I wait? Didn't know if it's bad or good to expose the babies to the big girls' living space, or expose the big girls to the what the little ones leave in the big girls' space???

I know what i have as far as color because it is written on thee egg shells..however i do not know what egg shell belongs to what chick..except the white.
They are exactly perfect!

I remember you saying you were not going to lock down until they externally pipped. Is that how you proceeded? I assume you bumped the humidity just a little after lock down.

I am four days away from lock-down now and gearing up for the fun!
Your babies are so very pretty.

Oh! Almost forgot! Judy the Broody hatched a chick out today!

Last edited:
My question of the day... lol

Okay, so it's supposed to get up to almost 80 this week during the day, after snowing over the weekend - that's Arizona for you. I was thinking about taking the babies out. Some are almost 2 weeks, others are almost 1 week. Would it be a good idea to let all my big ones (20 week olds) out to free range and then let my little ones run loose in their closed up run for a bit? The run is dirt, covered with deep litter of straw and pine shavings, and whatever else is in there... What do you think? Good idea or should I wait? Didn't know if it's bad or good to expose the babies to the big girls' living space, or expose the big girls to the what the little ones leave in the big girls' space???
I would be inclined to but although I've had chickens for a long stretch (off and on) I don't do things like others. I would have been acclimating them weeks ago. 20 weeks. They'll start laying soon.

I desperately need help! All day I've been having chicks hatching. The are a white leghorn mix. The last chick had a very gooey mess attached/hanging off one of the legs. I thought it was the leg, It looked like mangled meat. It turned out to be just the yolk stuff that should be absorbed. The chick is turning out ok. My first chick of these shipped eggs pipped but never progressed. After nearly 2 full days I helped. That soupy yolk stuff had dried all over the chick. I picked the shell and membrane off slowly but on the lower back down to the butt was really bad. And he has poo stuck. After I give him a rest, I'll hold a warm towel in these areas and try to loosen it and fluff him up. These eggs were shipped and 8 of them were literally scrambled in the shell when I opened them to see why they weren't growing. My experience with shipped eggs has not been good and I won't do it again. Is that why it was so messy, the yolk mixed with the white? The problem wasn't due to being excessive wet, because they're not. Help? Thanks, sue

Oh! Almost forgot! Judy the Broody hatched a chick out today!

wee.gif
sue

Well it is 10:30. I only got to page 24 reading everything. Lots of information, thanks. Can hardly wait now to get house repairs done so I can begin working on chicken preparedness activities. I have always wanted chickens. Now I have a rural setting where it is feasible if I can afford to do this and find a way to deter predators. Trying to research it all so I can do it right to start. I have a shed but nothing for coop so far.... might build on side of shed and do a fenced capped area for when I am not at home during the day.

Will resume reading later........
Look at "My Coop" under my avatar pic and you will see what I have done on the side of a shed. It is still a work in progress though.

thx aoxa -- I've heard the canon rebel is a great camera. I've got an E-Volt Olympis DSLR - w/ similar lense ranges - do love the telescopic capabilities for getting in close & being able to frame the subject. I've gotten tired of lugging such a heavy camera around, & since the prices have come down & technology has improved so much -- I just recently purchased a 4/3 mount Olympus, PEN - it's also a DSLR with changeable lenses - but is about half the size. Haven't begun experimenting with it, but hoping it will travel much easier than the Olympus with 3 lenses... on my list... too many projects, too little time.

& thx all for the feedback for ALC - my brother. I asked him to post here because you all are so helpful, non-judgmental & knowledgeable. He's a very caring guy, as you can tell, & wants to do right by his chicks. -- ok you can blush now bro!

He & I were thinking the closer to heritage they are, chickens would be longer-lived than the chicks bred for production. I'm basing that on some things Bee said - & it just makes sense that if you are breeding for egg-laying for the first 2 years or so - that you could easily breed out longevity. We still want eggs, but thinking that 200 eggs/year for 5 years is better for us than 300 eggs/year for 2 years.

Does anyone else have an opinion on hardiness (healthwise, not climate-wise) of some of the older breeds, vs the production breeds? I know my GSL is way too food-focused, and not predator-wise enough for our rural area - I lost her sister to a coyote, or bobcat a couple of months ago. That alone makes me appreciate my vigilant BA's & easy-going, but sensible Buckeyes. I need to have large birds for them to do a little self-protection (no roosters - yet anyway)

Thoughts?? Input from any O-T's??

We have a new member in the family.. I am so excited to announce it here.. Susan already did on facebook, but I had to wait to get home before announcing it to you guys...

We still haven't decided on a name 100% yet, but I am stuck on Henry. I just love that name and I feel like it fits him.

He is a Bernese Mountain dog. We did not want to get another Great Pyr. Too much like Clementine.. We were torn between the bernese and the Newf. Decided on the Bernese because of the drool factor. This line has been imported from Sweden, and the breeder has been breeding these guys for 20 years. They are registered, guaranteed and microchipped (with first shots and check-up).

Her last 3 she had to put down were 12 years old. That is a really good age for a Bernese Mountain Dog. They typically have short lifespans because they are more prone to fatal cancers. Also can have hip and elbow issues, but this line has been thoroughly tested, and again - he is guaranteed to be joint/hip issue free until 2. She said if they are going to have these issues, you find out before a year old for the most part.

His parents.. oh my.. so loveable. His dad is named Rico and is stunning. He is 7 years old. His mom is 6 and he was her last. She was just spade. He was the only pup in the litter. The remaining sibling was still born.

I'm in love.

Oh we won't have him until Saturday. Time to get the house ready for the pup!

Last edited:
On Facebook I agreed with the choice of "Bear" and added my dog's name of "Samson" but I hadn't seen Henry. Henry is awesome, it should win :)

He is soooooooooooooo adorable.

Delisha - Congratulations on some BEAUTIFUL Silkie chicks!! They are precious!!

I would be inclined to but although I've had chickens for a long stretch (off and on) I don't do things like others. I would have been acclimating them weeks ago. 20 weeks. They'll start laying soon.

I desperately need help! All day I've been having chicks hatching. The are a white leghorn mix. The last chick had a very gooey mess attached/hanging off one of the legs. I thought it was the leg, It looked like mangled meat. It turned out to be just the yolk stuff that should be absorbed. The chick is turning out ok. My first chick of these shipped eggs pipped but never progressed. After nearly 2 full days I helped. That soupy yolk stuff had dried all over the chick. I picked the shell and membrane off slowly but on the lower back down to the butt was really bad. And he has poo stuck. After I give him a rest, I'll hold a warm towel in these areas and try to loosen it and fluff him up. These eggs were shipped and 8 of them were literally scrambled in the shell when I opened them to see why they weren't growing. My experience with shipped eggs has not been good and I won't do it again. Is that why it was so messy, the yolk mixed with the white? The problem wasn't due to being excessive wet, because they're not. Help? Thanks, sue

Sue - not sure what to tell you other than that USPS can be awful on shipped eggs! The scrambled state likely had something to do with your chick's condition at hatching. Keep us posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed it is OK!

He is a Bernese Mountain dog.

Aoxa - the BMD is one of my all-time favorite breeds! Great choice!!!!! And he's perfect! Adorable and totally perfect! Congratulations!

As for me - spent the day driving to Knoxville, TN and back to southern VA to help a friend pick up a pony. Got back and went to check the humidity in my hatcher as chicks will be due tomorrow... and there was a chick, still soaking wet and wobbly-headed. It's a Dark Cornish. I have 6 SFH and 4 more DC eggs in there and I'm
fl.gif
the rest of them hatch OK... of course I don't have a brooder ready yet for this group - LOL! Wasn't expecting them until tomorrow some time. I guess the first one can spend the night in the hatcher and hopefully there will be a window of opportunity to extract him tomorrow between other hatches. The SFH often hatch a bit later than other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom