The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Yelling does not work..I am sure you know that
I kind of figured that
gig.gif

She was so fast. No way could I catch her. I had to fake her out and pretend to almost let her in the house.

She should respect me enough to listen. She has been doing so well.. Such a set back!

Horses never listen and the only way they go is away from you very fast. At least with my dog I could always pretend to get in the car and he would jump in. Lol. Pigs are no better. Never tried to entice them with the car.

Horses never listen and the only way they go is away from you very fast. At least with my dog I could always pretend to get in the car and he would jump in. Lol. Pigs are no better. Never tried to entice them with the car.
Oh I see! The sheep are like that as well. Hopefully I can get my good dog (Koda - Corgi mix) to learn how to herd them.
Is Clementine a dog or a chicken? ...sorry, but I'm really not sure! LOL
Clem's an LGD.

If Clem is food motivated, you can always practice with food. By practice, I mean do it when you're not mad at him for escaping ;) Just a random "come" when he's already heading in your direction, rewarded with a treat, works wonders. It becomes an immediate response with some practice... But again, practice on good days so you don't have any more bad ones! :)

Is she food motivated at all? I have a "not-a-golden" who likes to go on walkabout. As long as she knows I have treats in my pocket she's very attentive - and I swear she can see me reaching for a treat from 500 feet off or more. The only problem is, when I call her, she's all "show me the treat." She won't run away, but she won't run towards me unless I'm going for the food.
rant.gif

She is not food motivated unfortunately.

My poodle doesn't listen either, but I can get her in with a honk of the car horn. I got Clem to come up by faking out "Oh let's go in the house" trick. She sleeps in the barn with the sheep and chickens, so the house is exciting to her.

But she was running at full speed at me, and then would fake me out at the last minute.
rant.gif

aoxa - Your pictures are always beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing them.

Clem is also beautiful. My avatar, Cooper is an Aussie. He has been so bull headed for almost 10 years. The only thing we didn't try was the shock collar. He now comes when called, but if I stand up out of my chair, he starts barking and jumping up and down all the way to the door. If I get in his way, I get knocked down. He reminds us of a kangaroo. He is afraid of cows and sheep.

The math was about right. I think people think because chickens are small and stay in a coop/outside that they can scatter a little food and water and they are good to go. My DH tells me when I ask if he has fed or watered the dogs that he just did it yesterday. Not funny.

Back
Top Bottom