The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

She is healing from bumble foot and she has slow digestion causing her to have what appears to be sour crop. Thank you, it does make me feel me better knowing her health issue is hard to see. I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to cull her if her "quality" of life seems fine.

She is healing from bumble foot and she has slow digestion causing her to have what appears to be sour crop. Thank you, it does make me feel me better knowing her health issue is hard to see. I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to cull her if her "quality" of life seems fine.
In my opinion, she does not appear to be suffering.

Why don't you get her some plain yoghurt or kefir to help with the sour crop.

She's not so bad with the sour crop that she is throwing up when she is eating. She does not appear to be wasting away or in pain to my eye. But you know her better than I do.

I'm definitely NOT an expert on chicken illness but I'll say a couple things that are just opinion and viewpoint.

Looked at your video...I'm w/ Justine. She doesn't appear to be acting ill.
When I have an animal that is behaving normally (not laying around by itself, taking part in "flock activity", eating, drinking, etc.) I don't worry about it.
If there is something obvious taking them down -like the foot issue- I do something about it and see if they recover.
If they are exhibiting "depressed behavior" without showing signs of recovering then I take it seriously.

So...I'd probably wait on this one and see if she goes about "normal chicken life".

I almost gave up on Margaret.. almost. I am SO glad I didn't. She recovered no problem and lays every day and is a joy.

Sure she has a stub for a leg, and a funky other foot, but she is happy and fine. She never seemed in much pain, but at one point she had trouble figuring out how to walk, so she was walking backwards and in circles. This freaked me out a lot. I was going to cull her a few days later. I cried and cried about it, since it was right after the fire.. but she took a step... and I wavered.

I truly believe to coconut oil saved her dying feet from infection. I also let her ingest the coconut oil - which she loved.

Quote:

Ok, thank you both. So glad I took the video to show how she is behaving because she does act normal to me. She isn't a fan of yogurt. :) But I will try to get some in her today. She is thinner then the others, but did give me an egg at least every other day up til last Saturday, but they both stopped so I don't think it is related to health issues. I try to give her most of the beetles I collect so I know she is getting food, they started eating the rose hips and she fights for them. She is pooping so I know she isn't blocked, but just worried I was missing something.

Makes me feel about better. Thank you both VERY much!

Ok, thank you both. So glad I took the video to show how she is behaving because she does act normal to me. She isn't a fan of yogurt. :) But I will try to get some in her today. She is thinner then the others, but did give me an egg at least every other day up til last Saturday, but they both stopped so I don't think it is related to health issues. I try to give her most of the beetles I collect so I know she is getting food, they started eating the rose hips and she fights for them. She is pooping so I know she isn't blocked, but just worried I was missing something.

Makes me feel about better. Thank you both VERY much!
Mix crumble or scratch in the yoghurt.

Mine like Kefir better than yoghurt.

Try coconut oil. If it has antifungal properties, and humans can use it for yeast infections - try it with her. She may like it. She may not.. Scramble some eggs with it. That will get it in her.

Ok, I have some coconut oil because of this thread and I am cooking some eggs for my daughter this morning so that is perfect. I also have some gentian violet I could put in the yogurt. I have read it helps also in small quantities.

She looks ok to me also. Red comb, pecking those who get to close to her food & eating ok. She even makes the same "er er" noise my EE does :) She has beautiful coloring also. I would just let her bee as long as she is eating & acting ok.

I mix corn meal into yogurt for them sometimes. Garlic to. They love it. You could even mix some crumbles or scratch into the yogurt.

Sometimes my girls crops are squishy, but I haven't worried about it since they act ok.

Loinwizard..........I don't eat hearts or gizzards so the hens can have them. :)

Congrats Justine and Susan!!

I wish same couple marriages was legal in all the States. My daughter is in a same sex relationship and I really wish they could get married..breaks a mothers heart to see her baby suffer. They have exchanged vows, however it not being legal sucks. No sharing of benefits and non of the same Tax benefits etc. sad

That hen looks to have crop issues..wonderful that you have seen it and are being active. It is not blocked, or she would not be so aggressive with food. She likes to eat and socialize so she is good.

I have read that kefer can get rid of that in a few days. This time of year the chickens eat those long blades of grass and they can get knotted and slow down the digestive tract. You might have to massage it a bit every day to get things draining good so she does not loose too much weight. She looks good and is not a cull IMO

Back
Top Bottom