The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

can you convert your boxes to rollout by tilting either the front or back up 2-3 inches? Then cut the place you want the egg come out of the nesting box and use putt putt style flooring to guide the laid egg to the hole. Once out of the hole the egg could be better protected by being caught in a box of some kind that the chickens can't get into.

thats so strange it is the bottom boxes...are they the favorite boxes? maybe a game cam to see what the heck is going on!
They are the favourite boxes it seems.. If I am out there to feed them early enough, it doesn't seem to be an issue... I'm off this week, so I've been sleeping in until 8am.. Shocking... Poor, poor chickens. :p

I know they have their needs met with animal protein, calcium and grit.. So I think it may have to do with boredom from winter.

They are the favourite boxes it seems.. If I am out there to feed them early enough, it doesn't seem to be an issue... I'm off this week, so I've been sleeping in until 8am.. Shocking... Poor, poor chickens. :p

I know they have their needs met with animal protein, calcium and grit.. So I think it may have to do with boredom from winter.
i had egg eating for a bit a few years ago. I tried the mustard eggs, etc which didn't work.

what worked for me was changing things up (farmer down the road's suggestion). Moving things in the coop around so as much is different as possible, even moving nests if possible. If you can't move your nests, then block off the lower ones and if necessary provide additional other nests temporarily. Make sure the nests are stuffed enough that eggs aren't breaking when the hen stands up and drops her egg on other eggs...

it drove me nuts while it lasted, which I think was a couple of weeks.

good luck! nothing more irritating that good eggs spoiled. I only have 3 pullets laying and it drives me crazy that most often they are frozen and split open.

Those are all good suggestions about stopping egg eaters..

I have found through the years that hens really do not eat eggs unless they are cracked first. New pullets will peck the shells to test strengths of the shells. It is instinctive and part of a natural survival trait. They want to know if the shells can support the next generation. A bad shell makes a bad baby. The cold weather cracks eggs and makes them very fragile..the hens have a feast...mice eat many eggs this time of year too..I had a hidden nest and it was loaded full of frozen partially eaten eggs. Darn mice. I invested into an electronic deterrent for mice. (Just one) It seems to be working. I am seeing less mice activity.

lala - how does your boy's comb look now that the weather has warmed up? Can you take a photo?

winter-cold-smiley-emoticon.gif
Those forecasted temps are incredible. How long are they supposed to last?

I think the comb is looking good. it is dry. I'm dreading the cold for this poor boy. I rigged up a heat lamp this morning that aims at the roost where he sleeps. I'll plug it in when it gets to -20. It barely warms my hand when I put my hand where I think his head will be. Might even be imagining the warmth - it is a good 3 feet from the roost. but, it can't hurt.
Here he is today:

and

I am watching the nostrils since a woman in minnesota had a rooster die a few weeks ago, his frostbitten and swollen comb covered his nostrils and froze to them. There are so many people this year with frostbite and frozen toes on their chickens. It has been unusually humid this winter, usually we have a dry cold, but with this high humidity....and that is outside and not in the coop.

I stirred up the litter this morning and it just feels a bit damp. I try not to track snow in the coop, but when it ikeeps snowing, it happens.

Aoxa - is there possibly an egg-eating predator like a rat hanging around?
Definitely not. I would see them, as there aren't any places for them to hide in the barn. Also, my chickens are vultures. They would kill any rodents. I have seen them torture a rat and a vole more than once.

Those are all good suggestions about stopping egg eaters..

I have found through the years that hens really do not eat eggs unless they are cracked first. New pullets will peck the shells to test strengths of the shells. It is instinctive and part of a natural survival trait. They want to know if the shells can support the next generation. A bad shell makes a bad baby. The cold weather cracks eggs and makes them very fragile..the hens have a feast...mice eat many eggs this time of year too..I had a hidden nest and it was loaded full of frozen partially eaten eggs. Darn mice. I invested into an electronic deterrent for mice. (Just one) It seems to be working. I am seeing less mice activity.
It's lessening since I have been feeding them more. I had two eggs eaten this morning. On Tuesday I had every egg eaten in the bottom boxes. That is where my morning eggs are laid. I got 14 eggs in the bottom boxes today, so on Tuesday I could have very well missed out on a dozen eggs because they were eaten.

Can't blame the meat kings now Vicki.. They aren't in that part of the barn. I moved Big Bertha because the boys were abusing her.

It's ONLY the eggs in the bottom nesting boxes that are being consumed. I really should block them off...

Everyone talking about dipping production, and I got 3 dozen yesterday.

I also have an egg eater.. or two.. They keep getting the bottom nesting boxes. I go out there every morning to broken eggs in 6 boxes all eaten on the inside.. Grr....
I like Sally's idea about the rollout boxes.

uh... sorry but my first thought was *bleep* that... nope. no way i'm ever moving north again. at least not willingly.

This is how I feel about the cold weather.
I'll go willingly, but you won't see me out in that white stuff. This Miami girl's not setting flip-flopped foot on that!!!

My chickens have been laying really well. We haven't had power in a week at our house. Not sure when it's coming back on. We've been told every day since last Sunday it would be restored. The chickens miss their heated water dishes, as do I. It's at least warmer today so the dishes won't freeze during the day.

Back
Top Bottom