The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I'm back, and have not read the 300 posts I missed. Shame on me.

So my bumble-footed hen isn't getting any better or worse. Shes had it for about two weeks I think. She's acting perfectly fine other than a slight limp.

I'm pretty set against doing surgery, unless it's a full craniectomy.

My real question is, if it does start getting worse again, and I have to cull her, can I still eat her?

Why do you feel your rooster needs to have his spurs removed anyway?  Is  he aggressive toward you?  Is  he accidentally damaging your hens?  If noone is being hurt and his spurs aren't growing back into his leg, I don't see a reason for taking them off.

I have also had roosters who've had their spurs knocked completely off their legs.  I don't recall any ever growing back.  For the sake of your rooster who had this happen, maybe you should dull the spurs of the new head honcho in order to protect the other guy.  Roosters like that are gems to be kept safe and healthy.

The reason I am considering doing so is that "Big Blue" is starting to exhibit some nasty behaviour towards others. He had never been aggressive with me or Erick but he gives me the evil eye now and then. Then he apparently went after my mom while she was looking after things for me, drawing blood. He has also given some indication that he would like to take on my neice. She's three so doesn't go anywhere near them alone but that would earn him a very quick one way trip. He is my only Blue Ameraucana rooster at the moment so once he has a few candidates for replacements he will probably get the boot.

Too bad though he used to be so docile.

Agreed though Monsieur is a keeper. When he was just over a week old he would call the other chicks to the feeder. It was super cute :)

Yes, but I wouldn't eat her bumble! I had one who was just a bit gimpy last summer. She'd stepped on a raspberry cane, and I'm sure got a bit of a puncture. She had a bit of swelling at the pad, 2 discolored scales in that area. I tried wrapping her with icthyammol or triple antibiotic, but the dressing wouldn't stay dry, so I removed it. She's fine now.

Okay...help my inexperience.

If I process a 1.5 yo roo...will he taste bad because of his "manliness" ?
caf.gif
I TRIED to eat a roo my wife bought at the market this summer.

The thing tasted worse than liver and was tough as an old shoe. I let her gnaw on the rest of it herself and kindly request she not do that again.
tongue.gif
sickbyc.gif

I am, however, quite interested in caponizing. I'm definitely going to look into it when we get set up.

Last edited:
I'm back, and have not read the 300 posts I missed. Shame on me.

So my bumble-footed hen isn't getting any better or worse. Shes had it for about two weeks I think. She's acting perfectly fine other than a slight limp.

I'm pretty set against doing surgery, unless it's a full craniectomy.

My real question is, if it does start getting worse again, and I have to cull her, can I still eat her?
I believe that bumble foot is considered to be a staph infection and will be throughout her body. I wouldn't eat her.

If she has a cheesy core in her foot, pull it out while the foot is dry. If the area gets wet, the cheesy stuff will get wet and not all come out. Do it dry and then clean her foot really well and pack the hole with antibiotic ointment and bandage it so that dirt cannot get in. Change the bandage a couple of times and she should be fine.

The reason I am considering doing so is that "Big Blue" is starting to exhibit some nasty behaviour towards others. He had never been aggressive with me or Erick but he gives me the evil eye now and then. Then he apparently went after my mom while she was looking after things for me, drawing blood. He has also given some indication that he would like to take on my neice. She's three so doesn't go anywhere near them alone but that would earn him a very quick one way trip. He is my only Blue Ameraucana rooster at the moment so once he has a few candidates for replacements he will probably get the boot.

Too bad though he used to be so docile.

Agreed though Monsieur is a keeper. When he was just over a week old he would call the other chicks to the feeder. It was super cute
smile.png

Sending you a PM.

I TRIED to eat a roo my wife bought at the market this summer.

The thing tasted worse than liver and was tough as an old shoe. I let her gnaw on the rest of it herself and kindly request she not do that again.
tongue.gif
sickbyc.gif

I am, however, quite interested in caponizing. I'm definitely going to look into it when we get set up.
Maybe he wasn't allowed to go through rigor mortis. The first time I ever cooked a home grown bird I didn't realize it needed time to relax. You could also brine the bird overnight after the rigormortis has settled. I leave mine in the fridge for 3 or 4 days before putting them in the freezer. They more "toothy" than your store bought 6 week old mush birds, but they are very good and have a lot more flavor.

Bear walking past my garage around 7. I had just let my dog out and she and I noticed at the same time, dog went running--me screaming--he/she slowly walked away. chick coop is not that far away! hope the dog gave it second thought and will walk around property. i has been almost a year to the day that it came in and ate them. that was mom and cub- this one was pretty large, could be cub or just mom=only 1.

Back
Top Bottom