The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

What I got was a friend who cleaned his own deer. It was mixed in with fat heart & liver and some hair. I am not good enough at knowing what's edible or not so grinding it for the hens is what I did. I was thankful for it.

In that case I completely agree. Not to give any hunter a bad name but we won't eat game meat from most people simply because we know how we handle it compared to how many others do. Plue if something I would eat is snuggled up against something I wouldn't its probably best to just leave it all. Also there isn't really any fat on the deer here but if there were I would definitely be giving that to the critters.

Cheese and crackers!!!!! 270 POUNDS a month. and you can still afford your mortgage?
lau.gif
I need to drive to get the meat deals but I was spending more money with the kibble food.
For the chickens was the same I mix my own and is organic and ends up been cheaper than buying ready mix food.
Is Good DH pays the mortgage other wise I will have to give away all my animals.

you make me wish I knew a local deer hunter.

Maybe it's time to take up hunting! I thought I was going to hate it and cry when I actually killed a poor defenceless animal (seriously I've taken a robin to the vet, I'm a sucker) but I love it! Not the killing part but tracking, stalking and sitting so quietly that birds land on you. And just like the chickens, once it's dead it's just meat. Delicious, awesome meat...

Maybe it's time to take up hunting! I thought I was going to hate it and cry when I actually killed a poor defenceless animal (seriously I've taken a robin to the vet, I'm a sucker) but I love it! Not the killing part but tracking, stalking and sitting so quietly that birds land on you. And just like the chickens, once it's dead it's just meat. Delicious, awesome meat...

I don't like hunting, except the birds landing on you part. I scared a year's growth out of a poor woodpecker last time I was out. :-D

I find hunting tedious, but venison is worth the work.

Quote: For me there are a couple of things that just won't happen. First I have toddlers so the time it takes to hunt is hard to fit in. Next I have no guns, so no aiming and shooting skills. Back to the toddlers, I'm not comfortable with guns and powerful bow & arrow sets in the house. That may change as my children age. But for now, it is not happening.
Then lastly BUGS, I do not like bugs. I like honey and vegies so I know they have a purpose.

Mine get the venison livers. I have a couple beef tongues here that I'm not sure I can work up the courage to try eating so I may just try grinding that for the birds.

I am trying to broaden my horizons & trying new things. But I don't know if I would cook a tongue to try it lol
Quote: This is a close friend that I have known for years. I don't know how he butchers his deer that there are a lot of scraps but I am thankful for them. I am going to try hunting by starting with smaller animals like squirrels wtih my pellet gone & then see if I could actually shoot a deer lol I love venison & would love to be able to get a deer to put in my fridge. I have target practiced before but I need to practice some more. My friend has offered to let me target practice at his house. And I figure if I can get a squirrel I cant miss a deer lol

Yah....never thought I'd be interested in hunting but I do want to at least try it.

We were going to take some shooting lessons on everything from hunting to self-defense and had signed up but then my dad got bad and I had to cancel as I didn't have a caregiver to be at his house during the hours. That was almost 2 years ago now and still taking care of my dad....and never re-scheduled.

We need to get back to it. I've wanted to get a couple fire arms but didn't want to purchase anything until we had the opportunity to try several, learn how to take care of them and what not.

@SallyinIndiana
I would be the same if I had small kids in the house unless I was sure I had a child-proof storage. But now, I wish that I had taken my girls for shooting lessons when they were about Jr. high age and beyond. One of my girls did do a shooting and gun care class through 4H with a friend when they were in high school. I think it's something that everyone should at least have a chance to learn and be familiar with - even if they don't choose to ever become an owner. As I look back now, I feel that's one part of education I didn't give my kids... nor did I get it... and I wish I had. On our lessons, some of my adult children were going to do the classes w/us.

There are safes and other means to make the guns much less accessible to toddlers. But then where to store the safe and other hunting gear. hunting looks like a beneficial activity for sure, but like chickens, I just know there is more beneath the surface. Cost and space and time ~ I just can't fit it in right now. But yes, I would like my children to learn more about it as they approach high school age.

Back
Top Bottom