The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I'm sorry to see that what was once a pretty popular thread has been abandoned. I was hoping to find a group of natural chicken raisers for some deworming advice.
I think it's just summer time and peeps are out enjoying their peeps =). I've had a few problems and have always had my questions answered though, the people here are wonderful about that.
I've been using the ACV, garlic, and hot pepper in the water. I make a fresh batch two times a week and so far my chickens haven't had any worms. Unlike last year before I knew about these things we had an awful fight. I think all the rain we had last spring brought the problem. This year we have had just as much or more rain and not one problem with worms.

Welcome to the thread
frow.gif

Hey, COChix, Hi from Black Forest!
I'm glad to see the thread is still active, thank you all for your input! I don't know what the deal is, but when the thread comes up for me, it comes up with posts in 2011 and 2012 at the top...... so I thought it was defunct. So thankful to be proven wrong!

This is a great thread! I'm hoping for some great advice too...

My Lakenvelder Rooster (just over 1 year old) sounds like he is hoarse when he tries to crow. All his other noises sound fine- and he is very talkative. There is ACV and garlic in the water. No nasal or eye discharge. His girls all seem fine too. His comb and wattles are bright red. Normal poo. Any ideas? My boy (who doesn't wear the pants in that family anyway) is having a rough time... Thanks in advance!

Quote:
I think I would do the Wait and Watch thing for right now. Look for other off behaviors, is he still socializing with his group? Keep an eye on his ins and outs nose vent mouth eyes ears. I had a roo that had different crows and he kept me on my toes sometimes he sounded like a low battery toy other times like he'd been screaming all night and then he had a rooster crow. I dont know if it is a symptom or if it is something else I always thought Hairy was just trying to find his voice.

Good luck maybe someone will have better advice for you.
hugs.gif

New questions,
I've noticed moms chickens shaking their heads a lot and scratching. I thought when we got rid of the lice/mites this problem would stop
but as of yet it has not. I've checked ears and (to their agitation with me) I did not see any bugs or crusting in or around them. I've double checked to make sure the lice/mites are gone and am not seeing anything crawling around. Used the magnifier to make sure I wasn't missing anything like eggs from lice/mites etc... I am seeing nothing. So, my question is: Is this a residual affect? I realize they had the lice/mites for a couple years and we are seeing feathers growing back, skin softening, scales sloughing off, eggs being produced, eyes have all cleared up, I mean everything looks good but that darn shaking of the head and scratching. What am I missing here? Maybe they are still working at healing it's only been three weeks that we have been treating them.
thank you for any thoughts you might have to offer,

New questions,
I've noticed moms chickens shaking their heads a lot and scratching. I thought when we got rid of the lice/mites this problem would stop
but as of yet it has not. I've checked ears and (to their agitation with me) I did not see any bugs or crusting in or around them. I've double checked to make sure the lice/mites are gone and am not seeing anything crawling around. Used the magnifier to make sure I wasn't missing anything like eggs from lice/mites etc... I am seeing nothing. So, my question is: Is this a residual affect? I realize they had the lice/mites for a couple years and we are seeing feathers growing back, skin softening, scales sloughing off, eggs being produced, eyes have all cleared up, I mean everything looks good but that darn shaking of the head and scratching. What am I missing here? Maybe they are still working at healing it's only been three weeks that we have been treating them.

May I ask what you are treating them with.

And then a sales post. I won't get anything from someone ordering but I thought of this thread when I placed my order.
For those of you interested in herbs and natural stuff, http://mountainmeadowherbs.com is having a buy one get one sale next Wed. They will take your order over the phone in advance and just not ship or charge till Wed. too.
Its where I get all of my liquid herbal remedies other than one ~ the one they only sell to midwives.

Hey, COChix, Hi from Black Forest!
I'm glad to see the thread is still active, thank you all for your input! I don't know what the deal is, but when the thread comes up for me, it comes up with posts in 2011 and 2012 at the top...... so I thought it was defunct. So thankful to be proven wrong!
Ironwingone, welcome to the thread.

watch the page numbers at the top when the thread opens- perhaps you subscribed or bookmarked when it was on a page from that era!

New questions,
they could have mites in the ears. I have read, but havent tried, the remedy for this is a few drops of veggie oil in the ears. If you try this, let us know the results.
You know, I've had chickens for so long I can't remember, maybe 15 years or more, and have never ever looked in a chicken's ear!

Back
Top Bottom