The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

oldhenlikes dogs and lalaland! Thank you for this info. I have so much to learn! I've just found this thread and have a lot to read yet! I'm feeding organic mash from Montana and truly believe in the 'natural keeping'.... My daughter is a vet (though birds are not her specialty) and this is her preference also.

I read an article that said a small worm load was normal and actually beneficial, it's only when the balance gets off the system gets off, I think I read where they gave worms to people with rheumatoid arthritis and the worms helped bring down inflammation. I have never seen worms in my chickens poop, I don't worm my poultry, I do worm my goats and donkeys if I see they need it, chickens live shorter lives than other livestock. My chickens do get fall pumpkins and squash, I do cull any bird that can't fight off an illness.

Some very good points lalaland.
I don't worm the chickens "routinely" either for many of the reasons you note.

I would worm (using an herbal wormer like lalaland) if I thought there was an issue but I would want to have a fecal done to confirm it before I gave anything so as not to weaken the immune system more without good cause.

For lalaland, there is already the issue she mentioned and good reason to keep on top of things with her birds at the present. Thanks @lalaland for the thorough post that explained the "why" and the "how" of your method and also the general information re worming as well. Very helpful for anyone considering how to proceed on this issue. If I were ever in need of worming I think Molly's would likely be my choice - or possibly Susan Burek's worm formula for poultry. And if I get goats, Molly's will be the way I'd go when needed.

With a healthy flock that has plenty of room to roam, healthy runs that aren't impacted, unhealthy, slimy, etc. (which can be achieved with deep litter wood chips/shavings, etc.), species-appropriate feed (as much animal protein as possible and little or no legumes), my opinion (based on good reasoning I think) is that chickens don't need to be subjected to "routine worming".

I think I had chickens for 8 or 9 years or more before I ever saw a worm. There were about 3 or 4 moves during that period, so this land is the place where I have had continuous chickens the longest in one place....I don't know if that has anything to do with why I have seen worms in the past few years, or if it is mareks making the hens less able to deal with them.

Someone told me their job as a kid was to rake out the droppings every morning from the chicken run. I thought that was actually kind of a good idea... but not practical for me. The run is very large, with trees, blackberry brambles, and pines with low branches, so a rake wouldn't work there.

If you keep your chickens just a few years, and cull when they get to lay slower, I'm guessing you would have less of a worm problem, if any. My oldest hen is going on 7 years now (she still lays a couple of eggs a week too).

ummm...just in case anyone wonders about why some of us are so reluctant to use wormers because the use encourages the growth of resistent worms, here's a news piece about head lice becoming resistent to chemical treatments: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/09/super-lice-resistant-to-chemical/6239413/
For human infestation of head lice (and body lice) no chemicals are required at all. Simply shave ALL areas of the body with a # 50 surgical blade...then smear erstwhile hairy areas with Vaseline and leave it stand for a few hours and repeat the whole process in about 14 days.

I consider myself a very lucky man because by all things right, I should have been blanketed with vermin during my 3 year tropical vacation in South-East Asia and that alone could have done me in. I did get a few hitch-hikers now and again but they were NOT head lice ...unless you want to stand on principal.
gig.gif

I just wanted to stop in and say HI!

I miss everyone and I am about 5000 new messages behind.

I have reduced my flock down to under 10 adults for now. I do have a good 20 chicks growing out.

I hope everyone is doing well..I sure miss this group.

Hugs to all!!

Vicki

Back
Top Bottom