The new chick raising box we made

minpinmama

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 24, 2010
We made this today for our newly hatched BCM's. It is 2 ft high, 2 ft deep and 4 ft long.
Will be making a box double for when they get older and use this one for the next hatch.
The top has hinges in the back and two hooks in the front to keep unwanted critters out of it when we carry it to the barn tomorrow. It gets to stay inside tonight, the granddaughters want to play with the chicks tonight.
First one so we're kind of proud of it.

Last edited:
Uggg, remind me next time to remove shoes and other items in background (of above pic)
Here's another pic, sorry I am unsure how to post all picks in one post and don't know how to make smaller pics.

Thank you. As soon as they got out of the bator they instantly ran all over exploring it.
It's been years since I've had chicks, hard to remember back then.
How long do you all think this 2 ft deep by 4 ft long will keep 12 chicks happy before we need to move them on to a bigger one?
My son and his wife made this today in like less than 2 hrs with a ton of distractions and breaks.
We bough some cheap sticky backed vinyl tile and put it down on the bottom for easy clean up.

Last edited:
That's one serious lookin brooder! I wish I was that talented,
bow.gif
Great job

That's nice! Looks similar to ours except we don't have the nice top and DH got the same size wood box from work that once housed air conditioning equipment
wink.png

I've got six that are four weeks old in a brooder the same size. They are scheduled to go out to the coop in the next few days. Running out of room quickly. They grow so fast after the first two or three weeks.

Hey! That's really super nice. Great job there with the brooder. I'm jealous. Mine is a temporary "makeshift" brooder with two pieces of plywood butted up against the wall of my garage and then another piece on the other end to form a 3' x 2' box.

Back
Top Bottom