The New Chicken Mamma Here!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frowGlad you joined.
I see you listed Elector PSP on your list. I just bought some. Best price was on WalMart.com, believe it or not!
Definitely Corid. I also have Safeguard liquid goat wormer, powdered piperazine, fish mox, Poutry nutri-drench, electrolytes, Vetericyn Plus, pine tar, human calcium with vitamin D, a small dog crate for isolation, a chicken size container for soaking... that's off the top of my head and a decent start.
Wow! Thank you, for all of the information! I did find it at WalMart for $135 and change; it will be interesting to look back at this post in five years and see what it costs then.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frowGlad you joined.
I see you listed Elector PSP on your list. I just bought some. Best price was on WalMart.com, believe it or not!
Definitely Corid. I also have Safeguard liquid goat wormer, powdered piperazine, fish mox, Poutry nutri-drench, electrolytes, Vetericyn Plus, pine tar, human calcium with vitamin D, a small dog crate for isolation, a chicken size container for soaking... that's off the top of my head and a decent start.
What do you use pine tar for? Also, I got a cockerel just under a year old; he looks like a Jersey Giant, but has short little feathers down the outside of his legs. His legs seem like a silver almost and his claws are white. Any idea what he might be?

What do you use pine tar for? Also, I got a cockerel just under a year old; he looks like a Jersey Giant, but has short little feathers down the outside of his legs. His legs seem like a silver almost and his claws are white. Any idea what he might be?
Pine tar is a good anti-pick, antibiotic coating for wound care.
Post a few pictures of your boy. He sounds like a mix.

Hi, I'm the New Chicken Mamma. We decided our goal is to have a farm after wishing we lived on a farm for years. We will be looking until we find a place to farm. In the meantime, we were in Tractor Supply and my granddaughter saw the chickens right after her guinea pig died; we bought four. So, for eight weeks I have been on a crash course of backyard chicken education. I found you'all when I started looking for a coop, then for good feed, then, then, then, then, I found you for most questions I asked, until today searching about keeping my hens healthy, I signed up! So, I would appreciate any advice on what to have in the Hen Medicine Cabinet, because I want to be prepared! We love our hens! Or, I guess I should say, pullets. We have Lucy, our Australoup, Hawk, our Silver Wyandotte, and our Brown Leghorns, Cici and Peepers. Thanks!

It sounds like you are off to a good start! First of all, thank you for not trying to raise a flock or hatch 100 eggs or raise rare chickens like some of the other beginners here. Totally negligent and clueless. The birds only suffer due to inexperience.
Hi Dave, I finally figured out my rooster is a French Black Copper Moran; I couldn't have asked for a better rooster.
Pine tar is a good anti-pick, antibiotic coating for wound care.
Post a few pictures of your boy. He sounds like a mix.
Hi, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We bought land and added goats and rabbits to our homestead. I figured out our rooster is a French Black Copper Moran; he has been wonderful and we got 7 baby chicks last summer. We only got two hens. I do need a Doberman though, no one bothers you when you have a Doberman and raised right they are the most gentle and loyal of dogs with a built in off the charts protection gauge.

Back
Top Bottom