The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

It's not the distance, but more of how many hubs they go through... and some hubs seem to be rougher than others... good packing (like TJ's) does wonders, but all shipping is a crapshoot... I've gotten some within state scrambled, and some from across the US hatch...
hu.gif
Right about not the distance that counts, I have had eggs shipped from all over the US and some do very well and others come smashed or they just fail to develop. Sometimes I swear that the eggs coming through San Bernardino seem to get the roughest treatment no matter where they come from. Just my observation

I've had eggs that shipped roughly 2000 miles. One batch arrived safely and was well packaged. All the fertile ones hatched despite having saddle shaped air cells. Unfortunately most of the eggs were not fertile. Another batch I purchased from a very high end breeder. Box was damaged when it arrived, eggs were broken. Didn't help that they were not wrapped in bubble wrap. Seller told me to take it up with the postal service since it wasn't her fault. Very unprofessional service.

Next time I'll buy from BYC!

Yeah.... I'm way over in NY so thinking the USPS wouldn't be able to safely transport eggs that far. :/

What breeds are you looking for? There are quite a few good breeders right in NY, possibly close enough for you to drive to & pick up. If u do have them shipped, having them held at the PO for pickup can really help their viability. I love my mail carrier, but she has a long & bumpy route before she gets to my house. And I agree that certain hubs are worse than others. I've had consistent trouble with eggs that go thru Rochester. Good luck!!

Another option for shipped eggs is to have them shipped USPS Express. Costly, but much, much easier on the eggs. Two day delivery is guaranteed and they are handled less by machine and not dumped out onto the conveyor belts under the 70 pound priority boxes like eggs are normally sent.

Yeah, I agree about the Rochester post office.... Unfortunately I'm under 16 so I can't drive to get to hatcheries yet and it's hard for me to get rides to places as well....

Hmm. Maybe u could make friends w a local chicken person? Or ask Santa for an IOU for a ride to the PO? Santa brought me a fancy incubator last year, so I'd think he'd b down w rides to the PO. I'm sure u will figure something out. Fingers crossed for u.

Another option for shipped eggs is to have them shipped USPS Express. Costly, but much, much easier on the eggs. Two day delivery is guaranteed and they are handled less by machine and not dumped out onto the conveyor belts under the 70 pound priority boxes like eggs are normally sent.
GAH! That makes me surprised that anything hatches!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom