The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

Quote: she seems to be developing some respiratory issues. not sure if this is related to her drooling issue or not. but she does seem to be more alert more often and opens her eyes when I walk into the room. still not standing tho. or eating/drinking on her own. i'm still forcing the liquids somewhat, dipping her beak every time I walk by the cage. with her breathing issues, I really don't want to use a syringe or dropper now, for fear of drowning her in it.
do you have her on any antibiotics?
no, but I had considered that... I have one you mix with water (forget the name off hand) or injectable penicillin... wondering if I could get enough into her via water, vs flipping her over to inject into muscle (breast or leg both work well). but again, with possible head injury and labored breathing, i'm hesitant to move her any more than absolutely necessary.

I also thought of something a few minutes ago and was just reading up on it... I remembered reading that DMSO has been used as an anti-inflammatory and in conjunction with other medications. found this on the wiki page. making me wonder if that might be something to try...

"Also in horses, DMSO is used intravenously, again alone or in combination with other drugs. It is used alone for the treatment of increased intracranial pressure and/or cerebral edema in horses."

the dmso is a solvent for many things and works well to transport them across the skin, so that's the direction i'm thinking right now... I do know it doesn't work well with penn, but might with the other. thinking it's tetracycline based. what I have is a gel-based dmso, but when mixed with a liquid becomes liquid also, so maybe applied to her skin with the antibiotic powder mixed into it, maybe might help... at this point I can't see where it could hurt much.

sorry to take over the auction thread... that wasn't my intent...
Karen this isnlt a typical use for DMSO. There are specific chemicals that use DMSO as an absorption agent.

You can apply dmso as is for the swelling issues. Not sure of the dose for a chicken. With a horse the Tr for topical use would be very small , like painting the damaged area of a horse.

Can you get the injectable into her thigh mucle?? Usually IM for penn. My other question would be does she need antibitoics?? Is the wound festering?? Clean with diluted betadine and water; rinse with hydrogen peroxide. TOpical ointment.

You are most definitely giving her a fighting chance!!

IF any one is interested, I have turkey eggs posted on the other thread.
hide.gif
For anyone that doesn't meet the requirement for that thread can just PM me. Thank you. I sure don't want to eat these eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...egg-auction-and-bin-thread/1490#post_11793205

I've heard of a lot of people getting wheatens out of their black coppers...
I did with other lines, not from the Davis line birds though. Kind of miss them, but then I'd be building yet another pen. I've had a hard time getting my FBCMs to hatch, but they do pretty good to people I ship. This year I have egg eaters. Who knows. Maybe I would have gotten a Wheaten but they ate them all. Stupid birds!.

Arielle,
Hi, My eggs are due Sunday.
Under a broody English Orp.
Amazing how many eggs those big girls can cover.......
Down to 9 BO's (the ones I really want) and 6 SS
The rooster tried to set the eggs and in the scuffle broke two..
then three just flat disappeared................
idunno.gif
Thinking a critter got into the coop.
I have two left from my last hatch. will try to post pics. .A roo for sure and I think a pullet.
Very pretty little things, soft and mellow and nice color.

Arielle,
Hi, My eggs are due Sunday.
Under a broody English Orp.
Amazing how many eggs those big girls can cover.......
Down to 9 BO's (the ones I really want) and 6 SS
The rooster tried to set the eggs and in the scuffle broke two..
then three just flat disappeared................
idunno.gif
Thinking a critter got into the coop.
I have two left from my last hatch. will try to post pics. .A roo for sure and I think a pullet.
Very pretty little things, soft and mellow and nice color.

English Orps.....
love.gif
droolin.gif

I have been eyeing hatching eggs for those guys.. didn't know anyone on here had them!...

Off topic I know... but where's the best place to get barred cochin roos/pullets and gold laced cochin roos/pullets? We're thinking of getting a few more (two roos and two pullets each I think) for breeding purposes (have two barred hens, one gold laced) and don't want to have to do straight run orders and order 20 just to get the ones we want LOL (Well... I want to do that because I have chicken math disease, hubby doesn't because he's immune to it somehow!!) Also interested in black and blue LF cochin roos. Thanks y'all!

*edited to add... looking for LF cochins, not bantams :)

Last edited:
no, but I had considered that...  I have one you mix with water (forget the name off hand) or injectable penicillin...  wondering if I could get enough into her via water, vs flipping her over to inject into muscle (breast or leg both work well). but again, with possible head injury and labored breathing, i'm hesitant to move her any more than absolutely necessary.

I also thought of something a few minutes ago and was just reading up on it...  I remembered reading that DMSO has been used as an anti-inflammatory and in conjunction with other medications.  found this on the wiki page. making me wonder if that might be something to try...

"Also in horses, DMSO is used intravenously, again alone or in combination with other drugs. It is used alone for the treatment of increased intracranial pressure and/or cerebral edema in horses."

the dmso is a solvent for many things and works well to transport them across the skin, so that's the direction i'm thinking right now...  I do know it doesn't work well with penn, but might with the other. thinking it's tetracycline based. what I have is a gel-based dmso, but when mixed with a liquid becomes liquid also, so maybe applied to her skin with the antibiotic powder mixed into it, maybe might help...  at this point I can't see where it could hurt much.

sorry to take over the auction thread...  that wasn't my intent...

Karen this isnlt a typical use for DMSO. There are specific chemicals that use DMSO as an absorption agent. 

You can apply dmso as is for the swelling issues. Not sure of the dose for a chicken. With a horse the Tr for topical use would be very small , like painting the damaged area of a horse. 

Can you get the injectable into her thigh mucle?? Usually IM for penn. My other question would be does she need antibitoics?? Is the wound festering?? Clean with diluted betadine and water; rinse with hydrogen peroxide. TOpical ointment. 

You are most definitely giving her a fighting chance!! 

the antibiotic would be for any secondary infection resulting from the respiratory problems she's having...

and I don't want to move her much, which is why I don't feel comfortable using penn.

The very best antibiotic IMO is denagard it is water solubal and is a liquid you put in their water. It is kinda expensive at about 35 to 45 a bottle. But so is loosing birds!! It kicks that respritory crap everytme for me! I have had them literally gasping by the time I found them, bring them in five days of denagard viola! All better! Often seeing improvement after first dose!! Or drink of water!! They have been so ill that I had to syringe it into them they all are alive... Any stressed bird can get that respritory mess. Being sttacked and almost eaten is defiantly a stress, poor thing. Best thing about denagard is you can use it as a preventative also... We have not had a wide spread outbreak of the respritory crap since we Began with that also we clean and spray our coops with oxine as well, then in the fall and winter we run oxine in a mister. Works perfect!! Very few sicklings any more

This girl is almost 6 months................will have eggs for sale soon..they just started laying and my older hens are broody or have chicks............
big_smile.png

Her front is a little messed up from her dust bath..............

Back
Top Bottom