The NEW Crazy 24hr AUCTION thread

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by Phage, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I always request it to be held for pick up. I always get called prior t them opening and they let me pick them up through the back.
  2. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    it was interesting... I got a call SUNDAY! saying that if I wanted to I could pick them up off the loading docks. unfortunately I wasn't in town so told him to send them on to my PO and i'd get them in the morning.
  3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    When I am receiving eggs, I call my PO to BOLO . I've had to wait a day or two to get eggs because of car issues and still have a good hatch. My PO keeps them in a cool place. Even if I forget to call them, they call me. Great PO to work with. IMO They need to settle quietly before setting.

Today I took eggs to a VERY large city post office. I totally confounded the staff. Even the lady that handles the claims said they cannot be insured. THis conversation went on for a good 5 minutes as it happened everyone was in the main desk area at once. Many didn't know how to handle the eggs; the the person who handled claims was more interested in the packing job but fianlly conceeded that no they were not insurable. After that final decision was made, on with getting the postage pad for. Funny the clerk asked me if there was anything fragile. [​IMG]Or liquid. ( WEll only if it is mishandled! ) We had just discussed TWO times how the eggs were packed. SHeesh. I sent them priority and I put LIVE ANIMALS- EGGS hopefully all will be well.[​IMG]
  4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Just today I went over to the PO to pick up eggs. They were sent delivery confirmation with $50 insurance and hold at with my phone number on the label. I got notice that sort was complete and it was out for delivery. I rushed over and luckily my carrier had loaded her car but was able to retrieve the package.

After a long conversation, the worker tells me that technically the only time that hold at is recognized is with express mail and it is hit or miss if the carrier calls you. They don't have to.

My new strategy is to put all my mail on hold and say I will pick up mail. Then when I get notice via delivery confirmation I will go by and resume all my mail when picking up the eggs. It's the only way to be sure and you can do the mail hold on line saving me time.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Is there anything up for auction right now? :D
  6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I've decided to just get a PO box... oversized boxes that don't fit in the PO go in a special oversized locker and they put the key for it in the PO box... problem solved. even for weekend deliveries that I can't get there to pick up in time. and I've been told that boxes paid for already can be dropped off in the same manner if you get there after hours...
  7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    This is why I like to print my postage online (besides the discount). The computer doesn't care what I am shipping. That said, I have a wonderful PO. When they consolidated the POs around here, I started requesting HFPU in the neighboring town because the mail gets sorted there first. They thought they were being helpful by delivering it to my house, even when I had them addressed to my PO box. [​IMG]But I got them straightened out and now they are very good about calling me when they get in.
  8. chick-among-us

chick-among-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    I sent eggs today two BIG boxes of eggs...

I have always marked my boxes " live embryos"

Today because of this conversation I decided even serial killers like animals right? I don't WANT people to know they are eggs I WANT them to think they are just embryos.
    So I packed each box starting with tin foil then bubble wrap each egg is bubble wrapped then nestled in premium soft shavings under which is a gel ( colder than ice) pack. All of this is inside one box...then it is nestled on some shavings on top of that bubble wrap and tin foil...then I surround the whole box with styrofoam ( like a cooler) then more shavings pack it tightly then on top more tin foil some more styrofoam my farms business card! Voila! Then I marked the outside of the box on top with " LIVE" ANIMAL EMBRYOS!! Please avoid heat and X-ray! On the sides is FRAGILE and live animal embryos all over the outside on the top also says " babies, we want to live! Please handle carefully! And a little note thinking the USPS for their care in safe fully getting them there.
    I highlighted each section fragile or the other sayings with different colors! Wait till the people I sent them to get their boxes! Maybe they will let us know how they travels if they are still cool and if the styrofoam on the outside of the inside box...will keep them not only cool but the box stiff enough to protect the inside eggs. So far over had great reports on hatching for the most part. I also left the top open on the eggs so they can breathe in there. Hope my grand chicks make it!
  9. ReptileMom

ReptileMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Bozeman, MT
    I always make sure the person puts Hold at PO and call. They don't always do it even when I have asked them to do it. I only have a very small mailbox 1/2 mile from home. I have had the carrier bring it and leave it on the front steps in the sun.
    Frequently, they are delayed a day because the carrier gets it, and won't call. But he will leave it at the PO. He just puts a notice in the mailbox. If the package is a small one, like 6 eggs, he has put it in the mailbox and it has cooked.
    There are two people in the back in PO that are really good at calling me if they process the new stuff.

I really just have to watch the tracking like a hawk and if I see it in the town prior to mine and it has been processed, I just show up the next day telling them it should be there. Usually it is processed by the time I get there and they can find it.
    The only problems I have had with tracking is that some of the places are really slow at putting it in the computer program, and it won't show up being at the PO even though it is there.

It is always a gamble. I have found that my boxes need to be marked with the live embryos, or if it is small it will still make the trip to the mailbox or to my front steps, even if it says hold at PO and call.

At least half of the packages are dented or beat up, even when labeled or not labeled.
  10. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    I am so thankful for my PO. They are fascinated by the whole process, i take pics of the bator full of eggs and the newly (ugly) hatched and then the fluffy. They love it. My Rural Carrier used to bring boxes not marked hold to the house and either put them on the porch or in my truck. Now he has my number and if he even Thinks a box is eggs he calls me and leaves it in the bosses A/Ced office. Wish they got that kind of treatment on the rest of the trip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by