Pics
Me, too. I have a friend who had a bantam Cochin rooster named Philip. I think she found him as a stray/dumpee. She adored that little man. They are the sweetest, most goofy little guys, but they sure can round up those hens! Forrest asks to be picked up. He gets jealous of the hens, too, and sometimes will push his way to the front of the pack to get a second turn at my attention. I hope his hips don't cause him pain, the way they're formed, but who knows? They're such stoic animals. He manages to get where he wants to go, but it can take him longer to get up a hill than anyone else, waddling as he does, bless his heart. It's nice to have that many sets of eyes when they're out of the pen. I'm glad they get along most of the time so I can have all four boys in the group, but they do need those three new girls.
I have no idea if the penicillin we gave Ripley fixed anything. Only time will tell. She keeps going to the nest, but I don't know for sure if she produced anything. The only reason I even resorted to an antibiotic is because I saw when she broke that egg inside of her and she is so young, that I felt I might have a chance to catch any infection that had begun. Normally, I don't do that because egg issues are generally far advanced by the time you notice them losing weight and looking poorly-stoic animals, again. It just doesn't help with internal laying and other reproductive malfunctions. I have to remember that these are hatchery birds, not breeder quality birds I've been used to for so long and I could see those old issues all over again.

Hopefully Ripley improves. :fl You are doing all you can.

Why is it when a bantam Cochin roo does something obnoxious it's adorable, and when another breed does the same it's irritating? :lol: They are definitely my favorite breed of chicken.

Hopefully Ripley improves. :fl You are doing all you can.

Why is it when a bantam Cochin roo does something obnoxious it's adorable, and when another breed does the same it's irritating? :lol: They are definitely my favorite breed of chicken.
Yes, we have done what we could to stave off any developing infection and if we lose Ripley, it was unavoidable. I am just so fond of her.

Haha, yes! I agree about the bantam Cochins! They are so funny. I've sometimes been laughing so hard trying to tell Tom what one of them did that I couldn't get the words out. I have to make sure every bag of shavings is closed on top or Forrest will jump into it and encourage the hens to lay there. I've pulled him out of quite a few bags, LOL. Magnus has a habit of jumping into the poop bucket when anyone is cleaning in the morning, so much so that I call him Bucket Boy. They've been so much fun and if I had enough girls, I'd keep those two male chicks

I'm constantly making accommodations to keep the males. Most extra roosters of other breeds go in the freezer here. No bantam Cochin ever will be dinner here. I couldn't handle that.

Oh, this hit way too close to home. Right now I have two mature roosters and one 5 month old cockerel. I just can't have so many roosters, the neighbors will not be happy. But on the other hand, I need every single one of them. One is my breeding male, so he's needed at least till summer, then I have my aseel who I've yet to find a hen for, so I can't give him away until I get offspring from him, and then the cockerel is the only bantam, and the only one who can fertilize the bantam pullets without breaking their backs. Sorry, this turned into a rant

I want to keep them all. Just love the little guys. The Belgian D'Anver males are the dumbest roosters I've ever had and somewhat funny, but more frustrating when they just won't learn a darn thing except their names. I do miss Spike and Aubrey, though, Spike more so. But, these little ones I got because I enjoyed my Xander so much. These are much better examples of the breed than Xander, who came from Ideal, but he was a sweetheart, nonetheless. Never had a bantam hen and Mace is following in his footsteps by leading a pack of big women. I just don't know what I'll do when I lose those older girls. Zara and Athena are almost 8 years old. Jill is turning 7 in June with Maddie right behind her. By then, probably sweet Bash will be gone and Mace will get a Brahma or two, LOL.

We have a puzzle here, a genetics puzzle. Phoebe (still not sure on that, gosh) looks more mottled than splash, plus she/he has several BUFF feathers. She can't be a buff x splash because she would be blue like Iris or buff with blue or blue with buff, not black and white mottled with buff! What on earth do I have here? A throwback to unknown hatchery genetics? This chick does appear mottled, not splash. I've never seen a splash with that much color on it, so evenly distributed, and certainly not at 7 weeks old.
(UPDATE: I may have an explanation! If Iris produced an extra large egg for her, though 2 1/2 mos ago, they were super tiny and not-hatchable, IMO, that would do it. I was trying not to save her eggs then and they were very identifiable at that time. She's 1/2 Buff so her blue gene plus Gunnar's blue gene would make a splash and then, the buff feathers would come from her buff side. It still does not explain the evenly mottled appearance, though)

Last edited:
Just popping in to say that as far as I'm concerned, it's official, three pullets & two cockerels in the group. Cricket isn't rejecting them yet or started laying again, though I let her out with her flock without the chicks and she squatted for Magnus so I guess she'll be getting sick of babies soon. The two boys crow their little hearts out every morning.

Pictures snapped today for my son's girlfriend, who is fascinated with watching these chicks grow. Chicks, plus a bratty Iris.
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG

Back
Top Bottom