Pics
I had just said that if Cricket goes broody, I may give her eggs to hatch me a few more layers (males would have to go, even if I have to give them away). Someone is broody, but it isn't Cricket. Still, it is the third hen in our chicken-keeping history that I REFUSE to allow to hatch eggs because of her bad temper. One was an Atlas daughter, Tessa (unusual for that line, wasn't mean except when she was on a nest). One was my Sumatracauna, Tiny the Terrorist. And the newest on the Broody Blacklist is......IRIS.
That little wench attacked my boots, then when I shoved her back, gently, I might add, she flew up and FLOGGED my leg! WTH? I have not had a mean girl since Tiny was in her glory days. And a bantam Cochin at that. I thought she'd outgrow her biting habit eventually, as Bee mostly has, disciplined her repeatedly as a mother hen would a chick (lightly thunk the top of the head), etc. She is a hard case and I won't, WILL NOT, deal with a broody hen that I cannot trust to allow me to manage her and the little ones. Who'd think this beauty is a hellion, but she is. She is a DEVIL CHILD! Yeah, I'll wait for my sweet Cricket to raise some new egg layers for me.
Meanwhile, Mace is doing well with my late Hector's four big hens. He keeps going for wild bucking bronco rides trying to mate them, but they haven't killed him yet, LOL. He is the only one of the bantam Cochin boys who doesn't have to share so his huge battle with Gunnar (that lost Gunnar his 2nd in Command spot in the group) did him some good.
DSC07730.JPG

She would defend her chicks to the end by the sound of it. I had that one bantam that was so protective she would kill other hens chicks. I have never let her hatch since. Some are just too much.

She's too much, alright. She was only mildly annoying pre-broody, but now, she's making me wonder if anyone else wants her. I need her as a layer, though, so I guess she can stay, but she needs to watch herself. Poor Gunnar misses her now that she's not in a mood to be friendly with anyone. Ripley won't allow her to stay in a nest, beats on her until she leaves every time she finds her in there. She may make her snap out of it sooner.

Cricket is now broody. Iris, that bad girl, influenced her. But, I can trust Cricket, want a few more layers of her breed so I gave her 8 eggs. I hope she can do that many, but a few are very small, maybe one belongs to Iris, not sure. Today is Day One since she got them last evening. She was so happy when she saw that nest of eggs, got right on them and settled down. Hatch Day February 9.

Candling Report for February 9th Hatch Date: I candled Cricket's eggs today. Today is Day 8. Two never began development, one started, but quit almost immediately (had a blood ring), but five eggs have bouncing babies and great vein networks. So, it will be easier for her to cover them, having five down from eight. Hopefully, at least four of those, five for the wildly optimistic, will give us beautiful female chicks, but we know the odds.

I figured that's the way it would go. Just trying to push the boundaries a bit, I guess. Let's hope if I get another blue baby, it's a pullet because a blue male would be so darn tempting to keep and I have no place for one, not with Mace leading Hector's girls now and the original four still kicking. And let's also hope she's better tempered that that crazy biting Princess Iris. That girl is bad enough on a good day but broody? She's a hellion! Good grief. I want one as sweet as my Cricket. That hen is a doll.

Back
Top Bottom