The New Zealand Thread

Oh I am so sorry 😢 I just popped in here to see if there was an update and saw this sad news.
It is hard to lose a loved flock member. Thinking of you and sending hugs 🫂
Thanks so much.
Yes, very sad. She was my favourite. When we first got her home she had a sore leg, so spent a lot of time with her which made her very friendly. She was the best chicken. I’m getting teary again now, writing this! 🤦🏼‍♀️🥺🥺

Thanks so much.
Yes, very sad. She was my favourite. When we first got her home she had a sore leg, so spent a lot of time with her which made her very friendly. She was the best chicken. I’m getting teary again now, writing this! 🤦🏼‍♀️🥺🥺
I just popped on and read that your girl didn't pull through. My condolences.

I know that there is a chicken rehoming thread but I figured that it makes more sense to just put this out to the kiwis. "Pancake" the cockerel has gotten his crow so it's time for him to go! We were originally going to use him for meat but our daughter loves him so I said that I would try to find him a new home.
He is a 4 month old silver spangled hamburg. Is anyone looking for a rooster? We are in Christchurch but I could meet someone outside of Canterbury.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_spangled_hamburgs.html

Attachments

• 20220606_111053.jpg
    20220606_111053.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220606_111148.jpg
    20220606_111148.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 1
I know that there is a chicken rehoming thread but I figured that it makes more sense to just put this out to the kiwis. "Pancake" the cockerel has gotten his crow so it's time for him to go! We were originally going to use him for meat but our daughter loves him so I said that I would try to find him a new home.
He is a 4 month old silver spangled hamburg. Is anyone looking for a rooster? We are in Christchurch but I could meet someone outside of Canterbury.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/silver_spangled_hamburgs.html
Oh he is a lovely dude. Rare breed too! Hope you find a home for him, have you tried local Facebook groups? That's where I offload my birds.

Oh he is a lovely dude. Rare breed too! Hope you find a home for him, have you tried local Facebook groups? That's where I offload my birds.
I will see if I can find a local Facebook group, thanks for the suggestion. I put him up on trademe but I feel a bit unsure about listing him that way. I would prefer that he doesn't get used for meat, though I accept that as a possibility, but I am worried about him being used for fighting. Is that a thing here?

I will see if I can find a local Facebook group, thanks for the suggestion. I put him up on trademe but I feel a bit unsure about listing him that way. I would prefer that he doesn't get used for meat, though I accept that as a possibility, but I am worried about him being used for fighting. Is that a thing here?
Ultimately you never quite know, but I haven't had any interactions with anyone I think is using roosters for fighting. Just eating. I give mine away for eating. Cock fighting is pretty specialized. I wouldn't worry about that avenue too much.

Ultimately you never quite know, but I haven't had any interactions with anyone I think is using roosters for fighting. Just eating. I give mine away for eating. Cock fighting is pretty specialized. I wouldn't worry about that avenue too much.
That's good to hear. I added something in my trademe listing about how they are small birds, so that no one would think that he would be a bruiser. If we don't find him a home, I will probably pass him over the fence to my neighbours while our daughter is at school and then invent a story about how he escaped and found a new family.

Hey Guys, I’m in the market for a couple of ducklings…. I am finding it quite difficult to find a breeder that breeds anything other than Muscovy’s!
I love the look of call ducks but don’t think we can get them here…. Does anyone know of a good breeder? I am now thinking of Orpingtons to match my orpington chickens 🤣🤣

Hi all, I'm Anna - newbee chicken owner... don't shoot me - but I am not a fan of chickens!! It's the fluttering and unpredictability of birds (any birds), always been an issue unfortunately. However my son - all of 3.5 years old LOVES chickens.. and wanted his own, and slowly my fears are lessening! (very very slowly). I do love the interaction he has with them, and of course the eggs!.

I've got 5 girls at the moment, 1 is separated raising 2 chicks at the moment..

I'm in Prebbleton, Canterbury

Back
Top Bottom