the Newb's Pre-Laying Questions

I think I will try a medium plastic tub and put a lip on the front.
I am flying a little by the seat of my pants, as life is keeping me busy right now, and I can't really play with my tools to make a decent box of anything. I hoped the cardboard box would last longer.

They do make nests too, but a bucket on its side will work, a milk crate, a tote box or a dishpan. A darker corner is preferred, and I think an enclosure or some kind of wall is best. Just my opinion.

Mrs K
there are so many great options, for sure! I have looked at 5 gallon buckets, but thought them too small, until I put the boxes in the run and got a clearer picture. I have one floating around, I might need to round a 2nd one up.
The big deal right now is that I am pretty much running non-stop from sunup to sundown, something I had not anticipated back in May when I got the chicks.
Life sometimes sucks.
So far so good.
I think 3 of the 5 are sharing duties so far, but I could not say for sure.

I got 2 today, 2 brown ones with slightly different shading. (I have been running all day, no pics of those yet.
but this was the collection as of 2 days ago:
IMG_0464.JPG

The darker green one in the front has since been cracked open and fried up. Nice firm shell, yummie orange yolk.
Considering the crack the doggies got to eat it though.

Back
Top Bottom