The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Glad that everything worked out - Don't touch that candy cane.

I think that I have a 'sugar hangover'. [​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    When I did that as a kid, sour, I drank a glass of milk, For some reason I though milk would cancel out the sugar,
    it's a wonder I did not explode.

Blooie..... and now do we get to see Katie, or would that embarrass her?
    Kendra did wonderfully.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Katie is not the least bit embarrassed! She knows she's overweight, and she's working on it. She also knows she can't do all the kicking and jumping as gracefully as the other girls can, because of her asymmetrical hips and missing rib. That throws her balance way off. But she loves to dance, all of the other girls have been dancing with her since they were 4 and they are all the best of buddies. She knows that she's done so well socially that this year they removed the "autism" label from her at school and she "graduated" from special ed. So nope, no embarrassment whatsoever! She's very proud of herself, she likes herself, and she's very confident. As she so wisely put it one day, "Gramma, if I was looking for a friend, I'd pick me." Yeah, me too Bug!

We are very blessed to have Miss Candida as Kendra's dance teacher. She actually asked if Kendra could join the dance team, and when Jenny hesitated because of Kendra's communication issues Candida told Jenny that music IS communication. Then Jenny said that she didn't think they could afford to have both girls in dance (which was silly because Ken and I have offered to pay for Katie every year) Candida told her that they had that figured out too, If Jenny would clean the dance studio once a week, then the girls' tuition was covered and all they had to do was pay for the costumes. Win win. Candida was also Katie's dance teacher for the first 4 years Katie was in dance, so we know that she has a soft spot for making sure ALL girls get to participate and excel, whatever their limitations are.

Just an aside - my very favorite dance video of Katie was when she was 8, her last year in Candida's class. The strap on her top untied during the dress rehearsal, and then it started sliding down. Katie finally noticed it and you can see one split second of panic on her face. Then she just used her props to help her finish the routine, never losing her cool or or place in the dance. Her poise was incredible. She danced off the stage then burst into tears backstage. Candida praised her to the heavens and told Katie that nobody even noticed. She was right - we didn't notice until we watched the video and if she hadn't told us before what happened we wouldn't have been watching for it.

Isn't it wonderful how God always seems to send us just the very people we need the most just at the times we need them the most? So as soon as I get the video posted to You Tube, I would be very proud and honored to share Katie's dance with you.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I did not mean embarrass her because of any handicap, I mean embarrass her because she is a ten year old girl.
    gramma bragging is great... as long as the kids don't get a whiff of it.
    I loved grampa filming me do silly songs and dancing, and having a private showing with grama and cousins was a lot of fun... but when the friends of theirs I did not know watched. I felt silly.

I think your grand kids are awesome.

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    18 dozen butter cookies and still baking. [​IMG]

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Wow 18 dozen butter cookies [​IMG]. And still baking?

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Actually getting a little break now. There is some kind of almond dough chilling in the refrigerator for an hour or so. I'm just the shaper, decorator, baker. The Princess is the prep artist. Have I ever mentioned that she is a little disorganized? [​IMG] She does not like it when I say that. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You must have a very large family.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I knew what you meant, Eggsie - she's getting to the age where it's an eye-roll and an exasperated, "Gra--aa--ma!" But when it comes to her dance videos, she's all over that business. She called this morning to see if I had it up on Facebook yet so her other grandmother and aunts, uncles and cousins could see it. [​IMG] Um, I didn't. I do now.

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    We give a lot away to family and friends, and I am a carbohydrate eating freak. Luckily I am blessed with a calorie burning metabolism and lifestyle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by