The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    that's the best time to get him ha ha!

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning everyone!

The last day of 2015, that was a fast year. Anyone have special plans for tonight? My biggest challenge is going to be to stay awake until midnight, probably going to require a nap sometime today to make it there, but DH has this bug that we need to do it [​IMG]

He's making black eyed peas with ham and greens for dinner. It's supposed to bring you luck in the new years...I wish it were pizza, that sounds luckier to me, lol.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Good morning!

When Dick Clark got to old to ring in the New Year, guess we did as well [​IMG] so DH usually stays up and I go to sleep at my usual time , but neighborhood fireworks usually wake me up on cue to "witness" the New Year. It has been raining, raining, raining and flooding around around our area, so guess the night will be quieter this year [​IMG]. But likely they will find a way to do it anyway.

We traditionally don't usually cook the greens, BE peas til New Years Day, but thinking about going ahead and fix it tonite - a jump on some NY's luck wouldn't hurt. We are also having ham (smaller than the one you mentioned. LOL)

Both DH and I were raised with the superstition that ALL Christmas decorations have to be down and at least ready to go into storage before the stroke of Midnight to avert bad luck for the next year - so got a busy day today to get all packed up and the tree out of the house today. At least DH got all they yard stuff collected yesterday during a lull in the rain so it can dry to store.

*** Make sure to eat more greens than black-eyed peas - greens are dollars, peas are pennies [​IMG].

4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    LOL, we weren't sure if the black eyed peas & ham were supposed to be eaten today or tomorrow so we figured we'd cover our bets...make it up today, have a bite and then tomorrow have it as a meal. Interesting about the greens being dollars and the peas pennies, I didn't know that! How does corn bread figure into it?

We've both been raised to take the decorations down on NY day so tomorrow it is. I've enjoyed our tree so much this year, it was the biggest one we've ever had. Plus, it makes a great night light for stumbling from the bedroom to the kitchen for that first cup of coffee [​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear you're getting some of that rain and flooding. What a mess. Please take extra measures to stay safe!

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    No idea about the cornbread - just to sop up the juice from the peas?

Almost every year we overlook at least one Christmas thing and discover it months later - never really made a difference in luck [​IMG]

At least I live on higher ground but even here some areas are ponding :(

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Ken was often deployed over Christmas and New Years'. I remember one year when Tam was 11, Terrin was almost 9, and Kenny was almost 7. The ship was due back in port on the 15th of December, so we thought we were going to have an incredible Christmas. I had whipped their excitement into a near frenzy. But then due to the Iranian hostage crisis that took place in November, the ship's tour was extended. It was so hard to tell them that Daddy wasn't going to be home for Christmas after all, and we were provided with no second date for return. The kids decided that we'd wait to have Christmas until he got home, and that was that. So they each opened one gift Christmas morning, then we packed Christmas away. We finally got word that the ship would be back in March. So in March we got everything out again, put the unopened gifts under the tree, and had one heck of a good time sharing Christmas with Daddy after all. I have never been prouder of three little kids than I was that year! They got it - they understood how important Ken's job was and they understood why they had to "share" him.

And every New Year's Eve, the kids and I (and Ken, if he was home) had a little New Year's party. They got to snack on all the junk food they wanted, and they even got 7-up in little plastic cups so they could toast! One of the things we did was get out the calendar for the New Year, and we all got to "choose a birthday". Tam's real birthday was December 5th, mine on the 29th, Terrin's on January 4th, Kenny's on January 9th, and Ken's on January 10th. Yeah, nothing like being a close-to-impoverished young Navy family with all of that at Christmas time. So one by one we each studied the calendar and chose a date to observe our birthdays. The only rules were it couldn't be on any holiday, and there could only be one birthday for a particular month. So if Tam was first and chose June, nobody else could have June. If they wanted, they could keep their actual birthday, but I don't remember that anyone ever did that. We also rolled dice to see who went first, etc. It was so much fun! Then on their "appointed birthday" they got a birthday party with all the trimmings. Made each of them feel so special.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    6 people like this.
  9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Wonderful memories @Blooie I guess you've always been a smart woman!

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I don't know that it as much "smart" as practicing "self-defense"! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by