The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Sounded smart to me Blooie! Or did you prefer what I said in the ovation on the post about broadening your horizons, "To a broad with great horizons"? I mean we can go with either one, it all adds up to the same thing...you're a keeper!

Dam, Blooie, what a wonderful life you and your family have a carved our for yourselves.

I have no doubt that all of your traditions get passed down

Last edited:
Sounded smart to me Blooie! Or did you prefer what I said in the ovation on the post about broadening your horizons, "To a broad with great horizons"? I mean we can go with either one, it all adds up to the same thing...you're a keeper!
Hey, un-broadening my "horizon" is on the agenda for 2016 - sometime during that year!
lau.gif
But I thank you for the kind words. I have good role models on here, that's for sure!

Dam, Blooie, what a wonderful life you and your family have a carved our for yourselves.

I have no doubt that all of your traditions get passed down
You know, we did just that, Bert...we carved out a terrific life and I'm very proud of that. It's not easy raising three kids in a Navy family, so most of what we did was to give those little people continuity when we moved from place to place. Everything else had to be started anew - friends, activities, schools, neighbors - but if they had solid traditions that never changed no matter where we were, or no matter if Ken was home or not, they could adapt to the rest.

I hope some of the traditions get passed down. The Charlie Brown tree has for sure, and in every single household in Ma and Dad's entire family. But mostly I hope they find and maintain their own traditions as their lives go on, understanding that having and sharing them is more important that what the actual traditions are.

Ken was often deployed over Christmas and New Years'. I remember one year when Tam was 11, Terrin was almost 9, and Kenny was almost 7. The ship was due back in port on the 15th of December, so we thought we were going to have an incredible Christmas. I had whipped their excitement into a near frenzy. But then due to the Iranian hostage crisis that took place in November, the ship's tour was extended. It was so hard to tell them that Daddy wasn't going to be home for Christmas after all, and we were provided with no second date for return. The kids decided that we'd wait to have Christmas until he got home, and that was that. So they each opened one gift Christmas morning, then we packed Christmas away. We finally got word that the ship would be back in March. So in March we got everything out again, put the unopened gifts under the tree, and had one heck of a good time sharing Christmas with Daddy after all. I have never been prouder of three little kids than I was that year! They got it - they understood how important Ken's job was and they understood why they had to "share" him.

And every New Year's Eve, the kids and I (and Ken, if he was home) had a little New Year's party. They got to snack on all the junk food they wanted, and they even got 7-up in little plastic cups so they could toast! One of the things we did was get out the calendar for the New Year, and we all got to "choose a birthday". Tam's real birthday was December 5th, mine on the 29th, Terrin's on January 4th, Kenny's on January 9th, and Ken's on January 10th. Yeah, nothing like being a close-to-impoverished young Navy family with all of that at Christmas time. So one by one we each studied the calendar and chose a date to observe our birthdays. The only rules were it couldn't be on any holiday, and there could only be one birthday for a particular month. So if Tam was first and chose June, nobody else could have June. If they wanted, they could keep their actual birthday, but I don't remember that anyone ever did that. We also rolled dice to see who went first, etc. It was so much fun! Then on their "appointed birthday" they got a birthday party with all the trimmings. Made each of them feel so special.
hit.gif
That's a touching story, these are happy tears!

x2

When faced with a difficult situation, one should first stop and think, "How would Blooie handle this?" And bet we can all find more sunshine in our lives.

Or maybe she could start a "Dear Blooie" column thread?
That's something I would look forward to reading!

Did everyone make it safely through last night? DH & I had our own celebration here at home, that's my favorite way of doing new year's. Good dinner, a midnight toast and watching the neighbor's shoot off fireworks...nice evening!

Back
Top Bottom